Author Topic: Help trace Daniel Connel (Connell/Connolly/Connelly) of Cork (1770s)  (Read 163 times)

Offline Benny180180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help trace Daniel Connel (Connell/Connolly/Connelly) of Cork (1770s)
« on: Wednesday 24 May 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find out more about the parents of my 6th great grandad Daniel Connel (Connell) born in Cork in 1770. I have the marriage certificate to Mary (Mariam) Connel from St Peter's & Paul Church in Cork, they got married 26 August 1792, witnesses where Patrick Creedon & Elizabeth Geary.

I cannot get accruate information on the parents of Daniel, can any one help?
Is anyone related to Daniel?

More information I have on Daniel:

He had a son Cors (Cornelious) born around 1794 in Cork, he married Joan Carty (McCarty) on 23rd  Feb 1819 in Kilnamartyra, Cork

Offline Mike Reason

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help trace Daniel Connel (Connell/Connolly/Connelly) of Cork (1770s)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 January 24 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benny,

Im related to him is you spell the surname with two ls' and he was born 1760 in Cork, m Charity Jones; St Peter & Pauls, Cork. See:

https://sites.rootsmagic.com/Templer_Family/individual.php?p=4540

He may have been a great x 4 G father. Daniel Connell's daughter Elizabeth m William Dowden of Bandon who then a draper in Cork, a Unitarian. His brother Richard Dowden was Lord Mayor of Cork and a supporter of The Liberator O'Connell b 1775 (any relation?).

William Dowden and Elizabeth must have done well as they had a big house in Montenotte. Their eldest son Richard graduated as an engineer from Trinity College Dublin. The second son was my ancestor. Did Elizabeth died in childbirth? William later remarried to Maria Coppinger.

Richard and Walter, perhaps tired of the religious shenanagans, moved to Auckland, NZ. Walter married Jeanette Armstrong, relation to the Dublin and Cork Unitarian ministers. Richard married Kate Kearney in Melbourne NSW.

My Grandmother Estelle Dowden was the daughter of Richard Dowden and Amy Ripley of Auckland. Estelle, married John Rodgers, Mother Patricia married James Reason dob 1919, dod 1983.