Author Topic: Benjamin Kleinman  (Read 3091 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Kleinman
« Reply #81 on: Friday 16 June 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
Why would they change the cert so long after the marriage and why put the details on Benjamin's birth certificate?
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 16 June 23 18:38 BST (UK) »
The whole context of Urin's/Uren's appearance and life in Berlin is fascinating. Born in Russian-Poland, he was a citizen of the Russian Empire and undoubtedly obliged to do military service from a young age. In some places, boys as young as 12 were conscripted into the Imperial Army.

This begs the question when did he arrive in Berlin and under what circumstances. Like many Jews, he may have simply been evading military service, particularly in the despised Russian Imperial Army. Many of my German-Jewish male ancestors left Germany to evade such service.

In Berlin, he most probably assumed a German-sounding name to avoid drawing attention to his Eastern European roots. German Jews were well assimilated by the beginning of the 20th century; but there was most definitely discrimination and prejudice against Ostjuden (Jews from the East) within the Jewish communities themselves. Although, by the time he died in 1936 that would have been increasingly difficult.

The switch back to Klajman is equally intriguing. The Nazis started to implement the anti-Semitic Nuremberg Race Laws soon after gaining power in 1933. However, the key law defining Jews in racial terms was enacted on 14 Nov. 1935; a month after the name change and less than a year before Urin's/Uren's death. Although not exclusively a Jewish surname, there were 30 Jewish Kleinmann families in Berlin in 1931. Maybe Aron/Uren/Urin felt that a change to Klajman would mask his Jewish roots.

Aron's name change was recorded on Benjamin's birth certificate because it directly affected him. As a minor, his surname automatically became Klajman.

Incidentally, Minna Henseleit, who registered Benjamin's birth, was Emma's sister. She was born in Berlin in 1897 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5753/images/42377_prep808_000282-00393?treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Lpu122&_phstart=successSource&pId=3250041

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 17 June 23 19:11 BST (UK) »
 I am sure someone gave me details of his naturlization here in England but I cannot seem to find it at the moment.Can anyone help?

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 18 June 23 04:23 BST (UK) »

Is this what you mean?:

Benjamin Klajman - Naturalisation Certificate (open document, not online): https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11845508
B Klajman - Aliens Personal Files, Applications for Naturalisation (Closed until 01 Jan 2049): https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11167754

Joseph Kay - Naturalisation Certificate (open document, not online): https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11860718
J Kay/Klajman Aliens Personal Files, Applications for Naturalisation (Closed until 1 January 2067): https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11170657

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 18 June 23 15:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much all of you.I would not have been able to do it without you.Only ever worked in UK before!!! I have learnt alot and I hope I may now be able to help others in future.Again thanks a million.This will make my friend very very happy.

Offline matt Benjamin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 07 October 23 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is Matt Benjamin. after often searching for info about him I found this-Benjamin Kleinman/Klajman..later Clayton , was my grandfather. As you mention he had a daughter called Rose and another called Jill (my mum). he now has 5 great grandchildren. would love to here from you.  We are just about to apply to have our German citizenship restored.
Regards. Matt Benjamin (Klajman)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 27 November 23 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt,I am Rosies friend.She is my UKElele teacher.She lives not far from me.I will let Rose know you have made touch with me.from all these notes I have put tohgether a tree on ancestry for rose and her daughters including certificates and how so many were murdered.from another source I have found that arron most likely committed suicide to save his wife and son.Again from other sources it seems that arrons Mother may also have been his sister.I am also jewish and know many things of how they live and Arrons childhood was not the norm.It would seem that Benjamins father was a very good and unselfish man taking his own life rather then see his wife and son suffer.I have used rootschat for a lot of the research to do the tree but i also used ancestry.co.uk and the free Mormon site and various other places that have a interest in Jews before the 2nd world war and the war.Apart from Benjamin and his cousin it would seem all the rest of the families and their children died at the hands of the Natzies,in fact murdered.I have put a lot of the murdered certs in the tree which Rosie and her daughters have access too.I will let Rosie know you have been in touch.