Author Topic: Holland House  (Read 360 times)

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Holland House
« on: Thursday 25 May 23 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My ancestors were staying in or around Holland House in the 1861 census. I'll be visiting England this year and hoping to visit the property. Can anyone help me narrow down where they stayed exactly by the limited information on the census record? I've looked online but the property seems to have undergone many changes over the years.

They were Denis & Bridget Moore

Thank you,
Brenda
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline JimUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holland House
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 23 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda – is this the Holland House in Holland Park? If so, it's a pretty swanky residence! From memory, the Holland House I'm thinking of is in or near the Kyoto Garden in Holland Park. You should be able to find it on Google Maps. Is that any help?

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 May 23 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim! I believe so, and yes pretty swanky. I don't quite understand why they were there as I don't think they had a lot of money. He worked for the Ordnance Survey Dept and that probably has something to do with it.

The issue I'm having is determining if the building where he was living still exists. Maybe I've got to find a historical map. Would be great if there were old records/leases for that place. Would make life easier  ;)

Offline JimUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 May 23 19:56 BST (UK) »
You might be lucky and find the original house still stands. On Google Maps, 105 Holland Road still exists, and is adjacent to either 103 or 107 (obvs! ;D) – difficult to tell from the map. A lot of the opposite side of the road (even numbers?) looks to have been redeveloped over the years. Nearest tube looks like Kensington for Olympia. Enjoy your visit!

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 23 20:21 BST (UK) »
In the 1839 Pigot's Directory of Middlesex, the Hammersmith section contains entries for Isaac Cohen and Louisa Cohen at Holland House, Middle Mall, the former for a school for gentlemen boarders, and the latter for a school for lady boarders.  However, it may have been a different Holland House, since yours was listed in Holland Road - unless the name was changed.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 23 20:30 BST (UK) »
On Google Maps, 105 Holland Road still exists

104 is the schedule number, not the house number
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 23 21:02 BST (UK) »
An 1873 newspaper report places Holland House in "Masborough" Road, Hammersmith, presumably Masbro Road.  There is a Hofland Road off Masbro Road so I'm wondering if Holland Road in the 1861 is a mistranscription.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 May 23 22:16 BST (UK) »
I Google mapped it and it looks like there is a Holland Road  (A3220 now from the looks of it?) near the park in Hammersmith. It looks to be .6 miles from Holland House. Maybe back then, the entire place stretched to the road and they lumped it together in the census. It definitely says Holland House, then Holland Road on the census document.

I guess there's no way to find the exact location where they were actually living given that  :'(

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 23 04:21 BST (UK) »
This 1866 map clearly shows Holland House and Holland Road, there is also Holland Villas Road and Holland Park Road.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345961#zoom=6&lat=2671&lon=10261&layers=BT

The census shows Denis MOORE and family on Holland Road, not at Holland House which is occupied by James WILSON and family.