Author Topic: Newcastle War Pensions Hospital  (Read 503 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle War Pensions Hospital
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 May 23 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I have his date of birth as being 1877.

I found a baptism for the 29th of August 1877 and his age on all of his census records would agree with that 1877 / 1878.

From what I've found he joined the Northumberland Fusiliers around 1908 and was on home service the whole of the war. I'm guessing from the advert for the pink pills (allowing for sales exaggeration) he may not have been the fittest of men.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 May 23 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail
27 Sep 1926, page 5, col 4

The body of a man, identified as that of George Forster, High Hawkhope, Falstone, North Tyne, aged 33 and a patient at the War Pensions Hospital, was found on the 18th green of the Newcastle Town Moor golf course by a mounted policeman on patrol duty yesterday morning. The man's throat was cut and in his right hand was a bloodstained razor.

so that does seem to be the man whose death was registered as 'Foster'.

Boo

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 May 23 15:01 BST (UK) »
'of High Hawkhope, Falstone, North Tyne'

There is a George Foster age 27.11 at Stone Row, Plashetts in 1921. One of his children was born in Falstone. Plashetts is fairly near to Falstone.

His occupation is Hewer, Coal Miner (Disabled in War) and in his place of work it says (Unable to Work) Plashetts Colliery. This may mean 'out of work' because of the strike, but it is all oddly worded.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 May 23 15:11 BST (UK) »
gravestone at Falstone of George Foster died 1926, and of his wife died 1927

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/237834506/george-foster
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 May 23 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for the help, I'm starting to think the man who committed suicide must be a different George Forster to my man.

The 1911 census is very clear that his age is 33 the 1921 is equally clear he is 43. The addresses  match other family members and pension cards.

The name of his wife on the headstone is not Louisa, I think we must be looking at two different people.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 May 23 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

I have his date of birth as being 1877.

I found a baptism for the 29th of August 1877 and his age on all of his census records would agree with that 1877 / 1878.

From what I've found he joined the Northumberland Fusiliers around 1908 and was on home service the whole of the war. I'm guessing from the advert for the pink pills (allowing for sales exaggeration) he may not have been the fittest of men.

Michael

So we are looking for a man born c1877, who had joined the NF in 1908 and presumably served in WW1 with them. Do you have a service number for him please?
I'd be interested to have a look for his pension record that you've seen.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 May 23 15:36 BST (UK) »
He has a few. His pension card has the following service numbers and Regiments on listed in the
following order:

• 5/589 then 47513 Northumberland Fusiliers
• 20853 Durham Light Infantry (14 Mar 1919)
• 34456 West Yorkshire Regiment
• 60431 Royal Defence Corps (Treatment)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 May 23 15:37 BST (UK) »
He has a few. His pension card has the following service numbers and Regiments on listed in the
following order:

• 5/589 then 47513 Northumberland Fusiliers
• 20853 Durham Light Infantry (14 Mar 1919)
• 34456 West Yorkshire Regiment
• 60431 Royal Defence Corps (Treatment)

Off to firkle, but have to ask (again!) Do you have 'any' uncomplicated folk in your tree?

:-)

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 May 23 15:41 BST (UK) »
This is what I had written as his story (and no, not many uncomplicated):

In 1881 he was living with his parents, his sister Georgina and his brother John at 39
Wilfred Street in Byker, Newcastle. His father, Robert, was an unemployed plumber of gas
fittings.

By 1891 the family had moved and was now living at 44 Churchill Street in Westgate,
Newcastle. His father was a plumber of gas fittings and had six children in total including
the now 14 year old George.

The voters register shows that between 1893 and 1894 the family moved to 18 Churchill
Street in Westgate, Newcastle.

The next census in 1901 shows that at the age of 24 he was living at 18 Churchill Street in
Westgate, Newcastle with his parents and was working as a plate worker. He was the
oldest of the six children who were all still living at home.

In 1902 he married Maria Louisa Bagg in Newcastle. The exact date hasn’t been confirmed
but it would have been sometime between July and September that year.

At some point George joined the army and although the exact details have not yet been
found it is known that he was initially given the service number of 5/589 and was part of the
Northumberland Fusiliers, the 5 indicating he was a member of the 5th Battalion.

Looking at similar service numbers this would suggest that he joined sometime in 1908
meaning he was a pre WW1 territorial (or part time) soldier.

In 1911 the census shows that the now 33 year old Robert was working as a millwrights
labourer at the Elswick works and was living with his wife and two sons, Albert and
George, at 112 Elswick Terrace in Newcastle. It also shows that they’d had a third child
who had died.

The information on the 1911 census also confirms that he was definitely not a full time
soldier as he would not have been working as a millwright if he was.

At the start of the war the 5th battalion, like other territorial regiments and battalions, was
involved in home defence and the 5th battalion Northumberland Fusiliers were sent to
become part of the Tyne Defences.

On the outbreak of war TF units were invited to volunteer for Overseas Service. It’s
possible he joined one of the supernumerary battalions meaning he would have stayed on
home (UK) service for the whole of the war, this may fit with one of the service numbers he
was allocated and the fact that no medals can be found.

In 1916 George’s wife, Maria, gave birth to their 4th son, Robert. Unfortunately she died a
few months after giving birth so Robert was taken in by her sister, Amelia whilst the other
three boys went to Barnardos, the exact they were sent is not yet known.

George’s pension card says the date of first application was the 23rd of February 1920 and
when he was first assessed he was classed as 30% disabled. It’s thought that is the
approximate date he would have been discharged. On the 14th of June 1922 he was
reassessed and his disability increased to 40% but unusually none of his record cards
show what was wrong with him.