Author Topic: Islington Street 1860's  (Read 536 times)

Offline double-trouble

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Islington Street 1860's
« on: Friday 26 May 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
Is there a street directory online for streets in Islington , London in the 1860's . I've looked through a directory that shows old street names and changes into new names ( post 1900s ) but not found any ref .
An 1861 census ( RG9/126/63/29 ) return ( not sure which site from a few years ago )has surnames of Clarke ( a housekeeper and daughter ) and her charges , the Melville children at 4 Moor Street in Islington . I am going down to London soon and would like to photograph the site that I believe might now not be there through WW2 bombing , renamed or being demolished .
I've found a Moon Street ( Islington ) and a pos . change of name to Moore Street ( not Islington but nearby ) on oldmaps site . Could it be a typo error ? The street doesn't come up on a modern map that I've looked at today but Moon Street does . Has anyone got access to the census that could support either Moor St or Moon St on the return ?
Appreciate a pointer in the right direction , thanks for any advice .

Purnell - Thornbury / Leon . Stanley
Strong - Thornbury / FOD
Kirby - Bitton / Oldland
Burgess - Bedminster
George - Hotwells
Ryan - Bristol
Richards - Bristol / N . Devon
Bennett - Sodburys
Fisher - Thornbury area
Dolling - Wick / Abson
Thomas / Evans - Merthyr / Aberdare / Trecynon
Tanner - Bristol
Ablett - Thornbury area
Flook - East Bristol
Bennett - Oldbury / Thornbury
Spencer - Wilts
Blannin(g) - Bristol
Pollard - Bedminster
Johnson ( Duffield ) - Bristol ( Monmouth )

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Islington Street 1860's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 23 14:15 BST (UK) »
Looking at the original I would say that the street name is definitely Moon Street, not Moor Street.
The reference is RG 9/ 126/ 63/29 Edit: apologies, you've already posted that  :-[

Moon Street, in Islington, is still in existence. On the census the previous street is Studd Street, which is effectively a continuation of Moon Street.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline double-trouble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 23 14:26 BST (UK) »
JenB ..thankyou for that . I was looking at oldmaps online from late 1800s this morning and Moon Street was there . It was approx . 1/2 mile from another known place from the family past . But..I was wanting that info . to be correct rather than having a defined answer . I think this supports it and gives me a reason t photograph the street when there . Thankyou again .
Strong - Thornbury / FOD
Kirby - Bitton / Oldland
Burgess - Bedminster
George - Hotwells
Ryan - Bristol
Bennett - Sodburys
Fisher - Thornbury area
Dolling - Wick / Abson
Tanner - Bristol
Ablett - Thornbury area
Flook - East Bristol
Spencer - Wilts
Blannin(g) - Bristol
Pollard - Bedminster

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 23 16:10 BST (UK) »
If you are impatient you can visit Moon Street on Google Maps Street View. I won’t spoil it for you by actually posting an image.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 23 16:56 BST (UK) »
An 1861 census ( RG9/126/63/29 ) return ( not sure which site from a few years ago )has surnames of Clarke ( a housekeeper and daughter ) and her charges , the Melville children at 4 Moor Street in Islington

According to the census image they were at 5 Moon Street
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 23 04:00 BST (UK) »
https://booth.lse.ac.uk/map/ is an interesting source if you want to look at old maps but also get a feel for what an area was like around 1900.

https://booth.lse.ac.uk/notebooks/b348#?cv=103&c=0&m=0&s=0&z=2580.3625%2C1561.6958%2C2920.5336%2C1737.0756

Studd & Moon streets are described as by the local inspector as "Rsp? (respectable?) working class people - purple" (the middle of the Booth grading system).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 23 09:43 BST (UK) »
There are some details about Moon Street in the 1910 "Lloyd George Domesday Survey". Numbers 1-17 are all owned at that time by Humphrey Ouin of South Norwood (the freeholder). The description of the properties, detailed under No. 17 states:

All similar terrace backing on to PO premises. Fronts of 11-17 recently repointed 6 or 7 years ago. All 6 roomed Houses with washhouse. Modern drains. Tenement House but mostly let to 1 Tenant. Ouin now in possession. Agent at No. 9. All let @ 15/-. Assts? £21

The reference to 15 shillings is the weekly rent. (about £110 in 2023).

My interpretation of the details of the freehold and leaseholds (not an expert) is that the properties date from around 1824. The first newspaper reference to "Moon Street Islington" that I have found is from 1828.

An advertisement for some of the properties in the Morning Advertiser, 3rd May 1830 has this:
The Property at Islington consists of Eleven substantially-erected, commodious, and convenient Dwelling-houses, situate in Moon-street Islington, near the Church, and one ditto in Studd-street adjoining; are held on lease, of which there were 85 years unexpired at Christmas last at the low ground-rent of £57 8s.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 June 23 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi D-T, as you intend to visit so no 'spoiler alert image from google from me either, but a word to the wise, this is a narrow throughfare (modern cleaned-up brickwork) and they are 3-storey level. Thus you will require a wide angle lens to capture a single terraced property even by standing on the opposite side of the road. Parking takes place on the same side as the consecutively numbered houses, 1-17. since there are double-yellows on the other side!  Typical of these streets where there is parking it is "Residents only" 8.30-6.30 Mon-Fri & 8.30-1.30 Sats. Good luck. It would be a 20 minute walk from Euston Station, slightly uphill using main roads.

Offline double-trouble

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 June 23 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Copper1..good trip..photo and info . obtained..Tube and walk in great weather and ready to go down for further research next month..cheers
Strong - Thornbury / FOD
Kirby - Bitton / Oldland
Burgess - Bedminster
George - Hotwells
Ryan - Bristol
Bennett - Sodburys
Fisher - Thornbury area
Dolling - Wick / Abson
Tanner - Bristol
Ablett - Thornbury area
Flook - East Bristol
Spencer - Wilts
Blannin(g) - Bristol
Pollard - Bedminster