Author Topic: Abode in Llandewi Abergwesyn  (Read 499 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Abode in Llandewi Abergwesyn
« on: Friday 26 May 23 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am looking at a parish baptism for my 2nd great grandmother (Leah Jones) who was baptised in Llandewi Abergwesyn on 16th October 1824 to parents Richard and Leah.
The abode reads (I think) as 'Gribinrydd', but I'm struggling to find it or reference to it.
I wondered if anyone with more local knowledge could help please?
Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abode in Llandewi Abergwesyn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 23 19:18 BST (UK) »
Other "Abodes" mentioned in the parish register are "Pwllbo, Nantbrain, Llwynderw, Vanog"". These can be found on this tithe map  of Llanddewi Abergwesin
https://places.library.wales/viewer/4622465#?cv=&h=21&xywh=3696%2C15581%2C1804%2C961

In the bottom right hand corner is "Cribyn".

WIP!

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 23 19:51 BST (UK) »
"Cribyn" now appears to be somewhere under Llyn Brianne!

On the tithe map you can see Pwll y Bo on the River Irfon and to the west is Cribyn on the Towy. You can find Pwllbo on a modern map on the Irfon but heading west you hit Llyn Brianne which is fed by the Towy. Fannog is to the north.

Note the spellings vary slightly

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 23 20:05 BST (UK) »
Got the area on the tithe map- thanks hanes teulu  :)
Didn't think enough about how the vicar may have written it from what he heard (starting with a 'g' rather than a 'c')
So probably a dwelling somewhere near the larger farms shown that probably wouldn't show up on the tithe map.
My ancestor was a farm labourer
Thanks again for your help
Mar
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 23 20:31 BST (UK) »
The tithe map shows "Clynglas" immediately below "Cribyn".

"Clyn Glas" appears in the top left corner of this 1887 map - no "Cribyn".
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101604779

It's not a matter of the vicar mishearing. Under certain circumstances C becomes G in Welsh - but we won't go into that.

The tithe map shows 2 buildings at Cribyn - the map dates from the 1840s. Was your Richard around for the 1841 Census?

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 23 20:52 BST (UK) »
Tithe Map - this shows owner &occupier of Cribin (follows "Clynglas") in the 1840s.
https://places.library.wales/viewer/4563403#?cv=4&h=21&xywh=875%2C2262%2C1959%2C1214

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 23 11:06 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 Census Gribin is occupied by Rees Jones, 40, farmer, Margaret Jones, age 55 and Rees, age 10. The surrounding addresses are -
"Gwegilhindda, Nantcraf, Clunglas, Gribin, Abergwrach, Vanog, Tynygraig, Nantycraf"

Tithe map apportionment lists -
Pwllbo, Troedyresker, Clynglas, Cribin, Fannog, Tynygraig, Nantycraf

I think the 1824 baptismal "Abodes" should read "Gribynrhyd (single "d") which means "ford across the Cribyn" (the nearby stream/brook Nant y cribyn).

Else, very little about the locale to be found re that period

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 23 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks hanes teulu
I have been to Llyn Brianne a couple of times, but before realising the family connection, and not appreciating what was flooded to create the reservoir.
Looking on Parishmouse Wales and the topographical description, it says the the population (1800 -1850) doesn't rise above 150.
My 2nd great grandmothers father had died in 1834, and his wife had remarried and moved down a bit to LLanwrtyd. So no chance of finding them in LLandewi Abergwesyn in 1841.
I need to do a bit more research though, and expand the tree to see if there is any family connection to the Jones family in Cribin in 1841.

So would make absolute sense that somewhere around Gribin farm and alongside the stream were houses/farm outbuildings that could have been occupied by farm labourers and their families.

Of interest, an older sibling to Leah (William baptsised 1805) gives address as Clynglas.
The last child born in 1832 (Margaret) also gives abode as Gribbin- rhydd. Father now listed as a farmer. Nearly 30 years of having children!

Thanks so much again, for helping me unpick this.
Think another trip up to the reservoir in called for ;D
Surname Interests

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 23 16:40 BST (UK) »
I have previously sent you 2 links - the Tithe map with Cribyn marked and the apportionments that apply to the fields marked. You cross check the numbers on the map against the apportionment description. Cribyn is covered by Nos 21 and 22. The column next the No. is headed "Name and description of land and premises".
The description will sometimes identify that a property exists, but not always. If you look at  the apportionment description for "Crynglas No 23 it translates as "Field beyond the house" and No 24 translates as "Field below the house" - and there is a building nestling nicely in that position on the map.
Pwll y bo has No 4 "Homestead" and on the map No 4 shows 2 dwellings - clearcut.

Fannog, however, which was the biggest property in the locale shows Nos 61-69 - but none describe/indicate the presence of a house. The map shows a substantial property.

Apportionment Cribyn No 21" states "Enclosed land" and 22 "Sheepwalk". There are 2 buildings marked on the map in these fields. Suggest at least one is a dwelling rather than an agricultural building.