Author Topic: Castle Howard's workforce  (Read 542 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Castle Howard's workforce
« on: Friday 26 May 23 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Apparently members of the STEPHENSON family, who appear in the Censuses 1851 through to 1901 in Terrington, at some time "worked on the Castle Howard estate".  I notice on the map that Terrington appears to be only 3-4 miles away from this great house.  Would their workforce have included people from the near neighbourhood visiting daily as well as those who lived on the estate itself? 
Many thanks in advance,
Keith

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Howard's workforce
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 23 02:14 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of newspaper advertisements which mention Mr C. STEPHENSON, Estate Office, Castle Howard, York eg:

Saturday,  July 29, 1882
Publication: York Herald

and
Tuesday,  Apr. 14, 1885
Publication: Leeds Mercury

For interest, there is also a report of an outbreak of typhoid fever in the pigs on the premises of Mr Stephenson of Terrington, Castle Howard.
Monday,  June 2, 1879
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 23 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Maddys52,
Thanks so much for taking the time to look up and discover those two references for me.  I'll have to see whether this person is a member of the STEPHENSON family I'm looking into.  Recently read an excellent book about another mighty Yorkshire house and estate "Black Diamonds" by Catherine Bailey, about Wentworth House.  Coalmining and the great wealth that it generated.  Lots of individual references to the workforce...
Keith

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 23 17:03 BST (UK) »
I notice on the map that Terrington appears to be only 3-4 miles away from this great house. 
According to Wikipedia:
"The house [Castle Howard] is surrounded by a large estate which, at the time of the 7th Earl of Carlisle, covered over 13,000 acres (5,300 ha) and included the villages of Welburn, Bulmer, Slingsby, Terrington and Coneysthorpe."
The Seventh Earl of Carlisle, George William Frederick Howard, lived 18 April 1802 – 5 December 1864.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 23 21:05 BST (UK) »
Andy J2022,
Well, that sheds more light on my ignorance, and provides perfect clarity on the possibility that this family, with many others who lived within the bounds of this estate, almost certainly did work in some capacity for the owners of Castle Howard...
Many thanks,
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 12:07 BST (UK) »
Maddys52,
Not sure whether I realised before that you'd posted that much more pertinent reference to typhoid fever amongst the STEPHENSON pigs.  And whether they had to be put down.  (Perhaps you added it slightly later to your post).  I bet that this is the right family, and maybe homegrown pork and ham was in short supply for a while.  Interesting too that in the 1881 Census one of the son's occupation is given as an apprentice joiner.  Sign of the changing times, perhaps, the industrial taking over from the agricultural.  I believe he was later employed on the railways...
Keith

Online medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 18:48 BST (UK) »
Time team on Youtube has a programme on Castle Howard and part of the story is about the employees. It may help you.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 19:42 BST (UK) »
Oh, great, Medpat!
I'll see if I can find that and have a watch.  Any idea, roughly, when it was shown on TV?
Keith

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 02:21 BST (UK) »
If you are interested, there are numerous other mentions of STEPHENSONs of Terrington in newspapers. I notice there are a few STPHENSON families there in the censuses, are you interested in anyone in particular?