Author Topic: Bristol transatlantic passages 1830/31  (Read 314 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Bristol transatlantic passages 1830/31
« on: Friday 26 May 23 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am attaching an advertisement for passages from Bristol to America found in the Bristol Mercury Newspaper of September  7 1830. I am mostly interested in the COSMO which may have been about to disembark in the fall of 1830.

I would like to know if the passenger lists for the COSMO are availbale in Bristol.. I have searched the available resources on the Internet and there is a gap for the  COSMO in 1830.

Of course, I am looking for a David Williams, who was arriained for bankrupcy in June that year, and might have been summarily despatched to America by his creditors(?)

Any help here would be very gratefully received, and thanks for everyone's attantion anyway!

Llanfi
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol transatlantic passages 1830/31
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 23 12:01 BST (UK) »
I would like to know if the passenger lists for the COSMO are availbale in Bristol.. I have searched the available resources on the Internet and there is a gap for the  COSMO in 1830.

from https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/guides/Bristol%20Archives%20-%20Ships,%20seamen%20and%20emigrants%20source%20guide.pdf

"Passenger lists
Bristol was not a major passenger port in the 19th century because liners were too large to use the city docks. However, many emigrants travelled on smaller merchant ships, which often advertised for passengers in local newspapers (held by the Reference Library at Bristol Central Library). No passenger lists are held in Bristol Archives. The National Archives holds passenger lists dating from 1890."

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 23 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Llanfi,
 we have chatted before on Gilbert and their attachment via DNA to the Cecil family. This i find very interesting. My George Gilbert - George Thomas GILBERT b.1806Shirehampton d.19.12.1879Darl'f'd married one -
31.1.1837 Midsomer Norton to Elizabeth FORD b.1811 d.1844 married two - 27.4.1845 .Shirehampton to Elizabeth COX b.1813 Shirehampton.d.1857.
Between 1839 and 1851 he went to Canada. Family legend has it that he found it too cold and came back back in 1851. He also left a DNA sample while he was there in the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia area. How did he get there?
He was a agricultural labourer most of his life. Did he go as crew after his first wife died?
Like you i have been looking at ships that may have taken him to Canada from Bristol Port as Shirehampton was only a stones throw away and he probably knew some of the people involved.
 He left London in 1857 and finished up in Melbourne in 1858 aboard 'The Wildranger'.
Please post any findings.

Cheers Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 23 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Bookbox

Yes I will check with the immigrants in America... Prehaps that will yield better results.

Thanks for the Bristol Archives URL. I found copious details on the COSMO there and a list of sailings.. none in 1830 and the next in 1831. Apparently the ship changed hands in late 1830.

I hope you are well and enjoying the summer.. Thanks again for your help!!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 23 03:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack Gee,

I don't have any references for you, and I don't even remember any research into the Gilbert family..

Please refresh mymemory, and I will try to help..

Llanfi

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 23 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack Gee,

I don't have any references for you, and I don't even remember any research into the Gilbert family..

Please refresh mymemory, and I will try to help..

Llanfi

Hello Llanfi -
sorry i cannot find my notes.
But it was something to do with the Cecil connections in south Wales.
Of which the Gilberts are attached by DNA.
Please drop me a note if you find any Cecil family connections in the general south Wales area, Gilbert of Shirehampton or your current line of enquiry - Ships to Canada from the Port of Bristol 1839-1851.
Good luck on your hunt for the Cosmo details.

cheers
Jack Gee
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.