Author Topic: John McFarlane/Janet Taylor of Rutherglen  (Read 344 times)

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McFarlane/Janet Taylor of Rutherglen
« on: Friday 26 May 23 23:32 BST (UK) »
Looking for any connections backward or better information on John McFarlane of Rutherglen and Janet Taylor, married November 1843; I find notices in Barony for the 5 of November and in Rutherglen the 24 of November, I presume the earlier is banns. They emigrated to the US about 1849 with my then-2-year-old second great-grandmother Marion in tow. John and Marion’s gravestone say they were both born 1817. I believe I have John born May 1, 1817 to Robert McFarlane and Marion McAllum in Rutherglen. Searching for Janet, I see some births in 1816 and 1818, but can’t figure out which she might be. I’d like to work back further for both of them.

Wishful thinking I know, but I wonder if there is a way to trace my McFarlane line back to traditional McFarlane lands on the west shore of Loch Lomond.
Mom’s side: Harris, Stevens, Fairlie, Clark, McFarlane, Menzies, Munro, Donald, Brown
Dad’s side: Farace, Ferraro, Ferrara, Bonito

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John McFarlane/Janet Taylor of Rutherglen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 23 19:06 BST (UK) »
Looking for any connections backward or better information on John McFarlane of Rutherglen and Janet Taylor, married November 1843; I find notices in Barony for the 5 of November and in Rutherglen the 24 of November, I presume the earlier is banns.
No. Both are banns. What this means is that one of the couple lived in Barony and the other in Rutherglen at the time of the marriage, so the banns had to be called in both parishes, resulting in two records of the same marriage. Theyt may or may not give the date and place of the actual marriage ceremony.

You need to look at both records to see who lived in which parish, and then try to find them in the 1841 census.

Also, what were the names of all their children, in order of birth? This can be useful when trying to work out who their parents were, because there was a naming tradition:

First daughter after mother's mother
First son after father's father
Second daughter after father's mother
Second son after mother's father
Third daughter after mother
Third son after father

It's not infallible because not every couple followed it, but it can help.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 23 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you. The 1841 census has John and Janet living with children Robert, 4, Isabella, 2, and John, 2 mo., my 2GG Marion not yet born. So, if the naming convention was being followed (as it appears to be, with John’s parents being named Robert and Marion), I’m looking for Janet’s parents hopefully to be John and Isabella.

I’ll get some further digging done later today. Thanks again!
Mom’s side: Harris, Stevens, Fairlie, Clark, McFarlane, Menzies, Munro, Donald, Brown

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 23 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you. The 1841 census has John and Janet living with children Robert, 4, Isabella, 2, and John, 2 mo., my 2GG Marion not yet born. So, if the naming convention was being followed (as it appears to be, with John’s parents being named Robert and Marion), I’m looking for Janet’s parents hopefully to be John and Isabella.
So John and Janet were living together, and had three children together, two years before their marriage in 1843?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 23 22:39 BST (UK) »
Oops. Clearly I’ve got something mismatched. Let me go back and regroup and see what I did wrong. Somewhere in the other room I have US census records showing who were in the family, that should help point out my error.

Either that, or I’ve got some interesting reading coming up in the Kirk records!

Thanks,

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 23 23:30 BST (UK) »
Marion was b 28.10.1847

Helen 3.11.1844

If the marriage was 1843 they will not appear as a married couple on the 1841 census
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 May 23 23:43 BST (UK) »
If they married in 1843 and emigrated circa 1849 , they would not appear on any UK census as a married couple.

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 May 23 00:55 BST (UK) »
I have them in the US census for 1850 and on from there. But I’m going to back up even further just to be 100% sure I don’t have any other errors that crept in. I know that Marion was married to my 2GG John E. Harris, that he worked on the railroad, they moved from Dutchess County, New York to Manhattan, NY, and finally to New Haven, Connecticut where Marion died in 1901. I’m going to retrace my steps from there backward.

I’ll be back when I’ve double-checked my work. I think I’ve got unrelated Johns and Janets to eliminate. Thanks to everyone! I’ll revisit this thread in a day or three with my findings.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 May 23 18:01 BST (UK) »
Is this their memorial www.findagrave.com/memorial/117191964/john-macfarlane

Dates of birth on the memorial. John given as 14 May 1817 and Janet's 28 Aug 1817.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk