Author Topic: John McFarlane/Janet Taylor of Rutherglen  (Read 345 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John McFarlane/Janet Taylor of Rutherglen
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 May 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1850 census entry in NY that you are working from? www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCYQ-L69

1870 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M8FL-SNV

John's mother Mary/Marion travelled with them to the US? Is this her burial details here www.findagrave.com/memorial/117191820/marion-macfarlane

You mention you have these entries, Rfarace. Just adding for additional background.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 May 23 19:04 BST (UK) »
A possible for John in 1841:

Duncan McAuthur 75
Mary McAuthur 75
Marlow McAuthur 35
Thos McAuthur 13
John McFarlan 24 Dyer

Address Mainstreet North Side, Rutherglen

Added: Note that on the NY 1870 census, John's occupation is given as Dyer.

Points to note for the 1841 census. Relationships within a household entry were not normally included. Regarding ages, ages for everyone over the age of 15 is supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years. Children under 15 are supposed to show at their actual age.

Didn't always happen...as you can see from the John above showing as aged 24  ::)

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 May 23 19:14 BST (UK) »
Likely sibling for John showing in the Old Parish Registers on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  The dates will either be birth or christenings. The spellings of McFarlane and McCallum for Marion will vary. I am searching for M*Farl*

Robert - 03/04/1815
John - 01/05/1817...gravestone details a little out.

Monica

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 May 23 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Yes, those gravestones are correct, as is the census. The variations in spellings can be infuriating at times; I've seen McFarlane, MacFarlane, McFarlin, McFarland, and more, McCallum, McAllum, McCollom, etc. Still not as bad as my Menzies ancestors, where I find Mennies, Minies, and other inventive variants that make it difficult to search with wildcards.

From John and Janet's gravestone you'll find a link to Marion's; she married my 2GG John E. Harris and died in New Haven, Connecticut in 1901. John then remarried to a Mary (causing a little confusion in the records, since Marion was sometimes listed as a Mary). John's father, Edward Harris, was a blacksmith in East Fishkill, New York, and that's the one line of family where I haven't yet been able to trace back to where they came to North America and from where, but that's for another thread in another forum area.

Today is a holiday here in the US, and I've got other things to attend to, so I don't know how much time I can devote today to research, but I will get back here and look at some of the other links you've provided. Thank you!
Mom’s side: Harris, Stevens, Fairlie, Clark, McFarlane, Menzies, Munro, Donald, Brown
Dad’s side: Farace, Ferraro, Ferrara, Bonito