Author Topic: Divorce Records in Scotland  (Read 218 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Divorce Records in Scotland
« on: Saturday 27 May 23 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hello - I wonder if anyone can help this Sassenach with a query about Scottish Divorce records please.

I note from the Scotlands People site that references to divorces in Scotland prior to 1984, can be picked up by a corrected entry to the original marriage record.

However - the person I am researching was originally married in England. The couple were still in England on the 1939 Register.

The wife remarried in Blantyre in 1957.
The husband remarried in Canongate and Portobello in 1967.

Hence it appears the couple and their family moved to Scotland after 1939 - and divorced there prior to 1957.

Would there be a record of this divorce anywhere please?

Thank you for reading this query.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce Records in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 23 19:37 BST (UK) »
Try searching the NRS Catalogue here https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

I suggest searching for one of the names only at a time (click exact phrase too).

There is no option here for spelling variations, so if surnames are prone to this, you would have to check under the different spellings.

Some additional notes here www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/research-guides/research-guides-a-z/divorce-records

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
Oh Monica thank you SO much for your helpful and speedy response.

I can't find anything for them at the moment but will look again tomorrow. I have now ordered the 1957 marriage certificate - which may just give a clue.

Thank you so much once again - I'm square eyed now - so will resume tomorrow!!
Places of interest;

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 23 20:09 BST (UK) »
You have checked newspapers in case there was any mention of the divorce in these?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 23 20:15 BST (UK) »
The National Records of Scotland web site used to list divorces in the 20th century - I was able to get all the documents for a divorce in 1935 - but last time I looked there didn't seem to be any after about 1920, so I think they may now have removed more recent ones from the indexes. I did look to see if they say what the cut-off date for viewing divorces is, but I have yet to find that information.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 23 21:09 BST (UK) »
I did check the Newspapers Monica - couldn't see anything, but thank you.

Forfarian - yes I just thought it odd that divorces AFTER 1984 were mentioned on Scotlands people - (not the actual divorce of course) -- and in the link which Monica gave, I did come across the occasional divorce, but not many.

The surname in this case doesn't help really. It's double barrelled --- Graham-Smith (it's OK they are both deceased). However sometimes the 'Graham' is included as the second name of the Christian name - with the surname just recorded as Smith.

(It would be boring if it went smoothly!!)

I don't suppose it's important really. I have ordered the wife's second marriage cert - as the PDF is not on line.
Places of interest;