Author Topic: Jane Morgan - Where are her parents?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Morgan - Where are her parents?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 May 23 13:51 BST (UK) »
There's one in 1871 in Limpley Stoke in Wiltshire :-\
Piece 1923 folio 103 page 7
At The Reformatory.
Jane Morgan, 12, Scholar, born Warwick Birmingham
Matron is Emily Pike.

Any other candidates?

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 May 23 16:14 BST (UK) »
1881 Mary Morgan, Widow, Mother ( should be in Law ) is living with them.
Born c 1831 Warwickshire

Two Mary Morgans the same age in Oldbury in 1881.
Mary Ann Morgan died June qtr 1885, West Bromwich, age 64
Buried in Oldbury, address is Stone Street.

Possibly more likely (providing she stayed in Oldbury after 1881!)
Dec 1890 West Bromwich 6b 478
Morgan, Mary   
Age 60

Buried 10 Nov 1890 at Oldbury Cemetery
Residence Church Street, Oldbury

In the 1891 census the Ashcrofts are at 3 Waggon Yard, Church Street.

Just following up on all this great information - thank you! I'm looking at BurialOnline but the only Mary Morgan record they have is for a Mary Morgan who was buried in the West Midlands on 18th November 1890 so must be a different woman.

The Mary Morgan buried 30th May 1885 is also buried in the same grave as a Thomas Phipps (3/12/1888) in unconsecrated ground.

The Mary Morgan I found who was buried 18th November 1890 is also buried with an O'Shea (Sbc of) Gwendoline Joan (buried 15th January 1930 and died 9th Jan 1930).
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 May 23 16:26 BST (UK) »
There's one in 1871 in Limpley Stoke in Wiltshire :-\
Piece 1923 folio 103 page 7
At The Reformatory.
Jane Morgan, 12, Scholar, born Warwick Birmingham
Matron is Emily Pike.

Any other candidates?

So this census has Jane Morgan's birth place as Birmingham.In later census records, when she is married to William Ashcroft she is listed as being born in Oldbury.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
It may be possible that Jane grew up in Oldbury, but wasn't sure where she was born.

If your Jane might be the daughter of Thomas Morgan the coach trimmer (who seems to have later fallen on hard times) and who was sent to a reformatory in 1870, it might explain why you have had such a hard time finding her.

It is a pity that the Dudley marriage isn't online anywhere at the moment, other that indexing that gives her father's name. Had hoped there might be a transcript on FreeReg, but it appears not. I think at some point you will need the full details from it to see if helps in identifying Jane.

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 02:29 BST (UK) »
I requested Familysearch.org for the Marriage and I was able to get a original record:

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
It may be possible that Jane grew up in Oldbury, but wasn't sure where she was born.

If your Jane might be the daughter of Thomas Morgan the coach trimmer (who seems to have later fallen on hard times) and who was sent to a reformatory in 1870, it might explain why you have had such a hard time finding her.

It is a pity that the Dudley marriage isn't online anywhere at the moment, other that indexing that gives her father's name. Had hoped there might be a transcript on FreeReg, but it appears not. I think at some point you will need the full details from it to see if helps in identifying Jane.

I requested Familysearch.org for the Marriage and I was able to get a original record:

Here's the Marriage (;

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 07:48 BST (UK) »
An interesting development...

I looked at Burials Online and was able to see the burial register for William Ashcroft (Jane's husband). I was hoping to find out if he was widowed or not but nothing came up. However, I did discover that he was the second burial in the grave he is in. I looked to see who had been buried there before him and there is the following entry:

Mary Jane Ashcroft (age 62) - Died 24th March 1919 - Halesowen Street, Oldbury - new purchased grave.

Could it be that Jane Ashcroft was actually Mary Jane Ashcroft? This would woman had a birth date of 1857 which also fits my Jane. It would seem odd for William to be buried with another woman so my thinking is that I should be looking for a Mary Jane in earlier census records.

Hi

Here is that Jane in a Birth Record:
Wrong Jane

Mary Jane MORGAN - November 25th, 1860 Sutton Coldfield
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01sch/

I'm not sure...

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi HG
Oh wow, thank you, well done for getting that marriage! I am sure littleem will be delighted.

It says that Jane's dad Thomas Morgan was a Coach Trimmer. And was dead by 1877.
It does fit, doesn't it. So the Jane we are looking for is quite likely to be the one in Bilston in 1861. Hopefully then Thomas and Mary are in Oldbury in 1871. Minus their two younger children, who sadly were detained elsewhere!
Jon

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 10:07 BST (UK) »

Oh wow! Thank you so much! This really will help and I think jonw65 is right to assume my Jane is likely the one in Bilston in 1861