Author Topic: Jane Morgan - Where are her parents?  (Read 1082 times)

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Morgan - Where are her parents?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 11:12 BST (UK) »
Aris's Birmingham Gazette - Saturday 25 December 1869

A disgraceful father - At the West Bromwich police court yesterday, before Mr Sharp and Captain Williams, a girl named Jane Morgan, aged 11 years, the daughter of a man named Morgan who has a wooden leg, lives at Oldbury, and professes to get his living by hawking matches, was charged with attempting to rob a till at the Wagon and Horses, Spon Lane, kept by Alphonso Begy, on the previous Tuesday. Evidence was given showing that the girl was warned to keep put of the house, but she would persist on coming in; and she was found with her hands in the till of the bar. Though several shillings were missing they could not be found. Mr Sharp: I feel most strongly that children
would not steal if they were better taken care of.

Sergeant Hackney said the prisoner had been in the habit of taking his children about with him in public houses to beg. On one occasion he locked the prisoner up for begging, and the girl was with him.—Mr. Sharp to the prisoner’s father: I wish I could punish you. I would send your other leg to sleep very quickly-(laughter).

Sergeant Hackney said that a few weeks ago another daughter of the father was sent to a reformatory six years.—Mr. Sharp: Yes; that is the result of the training. It is just what I expected.-The prisoner’s father: It is no training of mine.—Mr. Sharp: I am afraid you are an old sinner. These poor little things are what they are made by example and precept.—As it was proposed to send the prisoner to a Reformatory, Mr. Hebbert (Magistrates’ Clerk) asked the father what religion he professed, when said "Protestant.’’—Mr. Sharp: If you said Nothingarian it would be much better.—Prisoner was sent to gaol for six weeks, at the expiration of which time she will be sent to a Reformatory five years, and the father will have a certain amount to pay tor her maintenance.—The prisoner is well known by the name of “The Oldbury Girl.”

This report matches the one previously mentioned in the thread, but interestingly reveals another daughter who had been taken to a reformatory.
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 11:14 BST (UK) »
Possibly significant newspaper article. Once again I only have access today to the free OCR text

It could tie the 1861 and 1871 census possibilities I posted together just a bit? :-\
Or just another red herring!

Staffordshire Advertiser, 1 January 1870
The Result of Parental Neglect.—A little girl, eleven years of age, named Jane Morgan, whose father lives at Oldbury, was charged with attempting to steal money from a till at the house of Alphonse Bregg, Waggon and Horses Inn, Spon Croft. The prisoner was caught in the act of taking money from the till in prosecutor’s house. Sergeant Hackney said her father had obtained his living by begging. A short time ago a brother of hers, aged nine years, was convicted of stealing money from a till, and sent to a reformatory. The girl adopted a similar system of thieving, and had been detected in several petty robberies. The magistrates sentenced the prisoner to six weeks’ imprisonment and five years’ confinement in a reformatory school :o They said they should order the father to contribute towards the support of his daughter.
Got him!!
It's free ocr text again though.

Birmingham Gazette, 15 November 1869
AN INCORRIGIBLE YOUTH. At the West Bromwich Police Court, on Saturday, a youth named John Morgan, son of a coach trimmer of that name, living at Oldbury Green, was convicted of having stolen 4s. 9d. from the till of Henry Bradsworth's greengrocer's shop, Walsall Street, West Bromwich, on the previous Tuesday. Mr. Woollaston, superintendent of the police, said that the lad had been in custody on a previous occasion, when he was sentenced to a day's imprisonment, and to be whipped. He considered him a very clever thief. The magistrates said the prisoner would be committed for twenty-one days, and afterwards sent to a Reformatory for six years.
Aris's Birmingham Gazette - Saturday 25 December 1869

A disgraceful father - At the West Bromwich police court yesterday, before Mr Sharp and Captain Williams, a girl named Jane Morgan, aged 11 years, the daughter of a man named Morgan who has a wooden leg, lives at Oldbury, and professes to get his living by hawking matches, was charged with attempting to rob a till at the Wagon and Horses, Spon Lane, kept by Alphonso Begy, on the previous Tuesday. Evidence was given showing that the girl was warned to keep put of the house, but she would persist on coming in; and she was found with her hands in the till of the bar. Though several shillings were missing they could not be found. Mr Sharp: I feel most strongly that children
would not steal if they were better taken care of.

Sergeant Hackney said the prisoner had been in the habit of taking his children about with him in public houses to beg. On one occasion he locked the prisoner up for begging, and the girl was with him.—Mr. Sharp to the prisoner’s father: I wish I could punish you. I would send your other leg to sleep very quickly-(laughter).

Sergeant Hackney said that a few weeks ago another daughter of the father was sent to a reformatory six years.—Mr. Sharp: Yes; that is the result of the training. It is just what I expected.-The prisoner’s father: It is no training of mine.—Mr. Sharp: I am afraid you are an old sinner. These poor little things are what they are made by example and precept.—As it was proposed to send the prisoner to a Reformatory, Mr. Hebbert (Magistrates’ Clerk) asked the father what religion he professed, when said "Protestant.’’—Mr. Sharp: If you said Nothingarian it would be much better.—Prisoner was sent to gaol for six weeks, at the expiration of which time she will be sent to a Reformatory five years, and the father will have a certain amount to pay tor her maintenance.—The prisoner is well known by the name of “The Oldbury Girl.”

This report matches the one previously mentioned in the thread, but interestingly reveals another daughter who had been taken to a reformatory.

Not to be offensive to littleem1906, but it seems that Jane was real' bad.

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 11:34 BST (UK) »
Oh absolutely - she sounds it. What a home life she must have had!

I wonder if this newspaper article I found used 'daughter' instead of 'son'? As there is clear evidence it was a brother who was taken to a reformatory for 6 years, as reported in the other newspaper article in the thread.

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
I found the boy - John Morgan - in 1871 in a reformatory.

Name - John Morgan
Age - 10
Estimated Birth Year - 1861
Relation - Inmate
Gender - Male
Where born - Oldbury, Worcestershire, England
Civil parish - Aston
Ecclesiastical parish - Saltley
Town - Saltley
County/Island - Warwickshire
Country - England
Registration district - Aston
Sub-registration district - Erdington
ED, institution, or vessel - 48
Household schedule number - 144
Piece - 3160
Folio - 130
Page number - 28

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 13:40 BST (UK) »
Well done. I wonder what happened to him later.
I do agree that the newspaper probably made a mistake, and it's John they meant.
I fear it may not be easy finding out exactly who parents Thomas and Mary were :-\

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 14:32 BST (UK) »
Yes - sadly I fear the same. The fact that Thomas seems to be 'in control' of the children makes me wonder why their mother isn't mentioned.

My Jane has her mother Mary living with her in 1881. If my Jane is the same Jane from the newspaper articles, where was Mary while all this was going on? It would be useful to find this Mary in earlier census records.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 21:46 BST (UK) »
A possible in 1871? Living in a lodging house in Birmingham St, Oldbury

Thomas Morgan  64, vagrant. b Wootton on Edge, WIlts
Mary Morgan       33 b Warwickshire
George Morgan    13  b not known

Apologies - missed this had been posted before

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:23 BST (UK) »
I believe I've found the Morgans in 1861.

Bilston, Wolverhampton
19 Walsall Street

John Schofield - Head - 61 - optician - Bilston, Staffs
Ann Schofield - Wife - 42 - Wilts
Thomas Morgan - Lodger - 54 - Coach trimmer - Staffs, Wolverhampton
Mary Morgan - Lodger's wife - 42 - Warwick
George Morgan - Son of lodger - 5 - Wolverhampton, Staffs
Jane Morgan - Daughter of lodger - 3 - Wolverhampton
John Morgan - Son of lodger - 2 months - Wolverhampton

(There are other lodgers there too)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I posted both census - 1861 and 1871 - in Reply #13

Anything or nothing?
Death
June 1874 West Bromwich 6b 439
Morgan, Thomas
Age 67

Thomas Morgan buried 5 June 1874, Oldbury Cemetery, age 67.
Residence Green Street.
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818bd81e93790de6a01d4f2

1871 census, Birmingham Street, Oldbury
Lodging house
Thomas Morgan Lodger mar 64 Vagrant, born Wilts Wootton...
Mary Morgan Lodger mar 33, born Warwick
George Morgan Lodger 13, where born not known
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDDG-2KX

1861 census, Walsall Street, Bilston
Thomas Morgan Lodger M 54 Coach Trimmer, born Staff WHampton
Mary Morgan Wife M 42, born Warwick
George Morgan Son 5 Wolverhampton Staff
Jane Morgan Daughter 3 Wolverhampton
John Morgan Son 2 mo Wolverhampton
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7ZL-FWG
and
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7ZL-FWY