Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 4th June  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 4th June
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 17:40 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, many years ago my aunt made fish sausages to entice her children to eat fish. I do not know if that worked!

Mystic Roobarb… has a nice 👍 ring to it.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 18:10 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry that this communication from the insurers has (understandably) dampened your spirits LM. 
As Roobarb says try not to take it to heart.  You know you have always been a good driver.  I suspect this is less to do with the truth about liability and more to do about money.  Take what they say with a pinch of salt; you know the truth on the matter.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 18:47 BST (UK) »
You have worked hard LM to get over the accident ,don’t let another’s lack of honesty knock your confidence, you did not need to be untruthful,the truth was in your favour.
Flash Harry has a good appetite and enjoys a good variety of food.
Little Kyra not so much ,but at 18 months and still teething ,she does eat pretty well really.
It amazes me the really sour things they eat, not had a lot of sugar .

Lovely day, treated myself to a new SS kettle and toaster to match the storage canisters that were a present from my eldest son at my request .
Gone off the red stuff.

Had a visit from the very deaf and almost totally blind lady , she is amazing how she gets about.

Pork chops in mushroom sauce - Delia Smith’s recipe for tea.
Mashed potatoes and sprouts with more mushrooms.

Must check on the cooking
Look after yourselves folks.
Cheerio,Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 21:13 BST (UK) »

Mystic Roobarb… has a nice 👍 ring to it.

;D ;D ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 June 23 10:41 BST (UK) »
LM so sorry to hear the insurance saga has ended up like this. As others have said, try to stay positive and also focus on the fact that you have your own car back to enjoy driving in .
North East of England

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 June 23 08:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear about your continuing insurance saga LM. Just remember that you know the truth but insurers like to wriggle out of things.

Sounds as if you had a great time away Viktoria.

I loathe the self service checkouts Roobarb, I swear they take one look at me and decide to go wrong. I was talking one day to the lady supervising the M&S ones who was telling me that they have their regulars who come most days and perhaps just buy a couple of things but have a little chat at the tills and she said they know if they haven’t been. They worry if they don’t come. All those regulars like the proper tills as it is someone to talk too. It got me thinking how for so many older people speaking to the person on the tills will be their only chance to speak to someone each day.

Must get myself organised to go and do a family history help desk at a local library but before I go have a telephone hospital appointment about something that was discovered when I collapsed last year. Nothing to worry about thank goodness.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 June 23 11:07 BST (UK) »
Good news! After over a year of central heating not working properly / at all, can put out to graze the fan heaters and electric plug-in radiators we've bought and been reliant on during the entire chilly winter saga - lovely new Heating Engineer has fixed it all, bless his little socks! Hottest week of year so far, and we sweltered when hi switched it all on again to check for leaks. How I wish we'd found him over a year back!
-Could do with Air-con now, I think!
Out to sit in shade in garden. Whoopee!
I refuse to shop if it's only self-service checkouts. I've left shopping at several over the years. Shop assistants and check out operators need jobs, and we customers need and appreciate them. Forward the revolution! Bring back real people.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 June 23 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hottest day TY,  where do you hail from?,   it started off  gloomy earlier for the 2nd and 3rd day running and has been cold and breezy, washing loves it dancing  in  the  wind, sun comes out much later but not a lot of warmth

I wholeheartedly  agree with you about self service tills  I have told more than one member of staff these machines are doing people  out of jobs, I heard yesterday on TV  that there is a shortage of staff in shops and hotels and they can't recruit,  they should do flexy hours, or it might be called nil hours where the staff will fill in for things like school holidays and parents need to cover for their children

Years  ago when at school I was a Saturday girl in our local F W Woolworths, I went straight from school on a Friday to do 2 hours  and then my usual 8 hours on a Saturday, and school holidays to cover for staff, it did mean we had to be paid more for our NH  stamp to be adjusted, absolutely suited me, gave me an extra 5s a week, they thought so highly of me they offered me a job in the office and I became  the youngest head cashier in the whole of FWW running  an office at about 18 years old, I absolutely enjoyed every minute of it, sadly had to leave when I got married, my intended didn't want to live in London.

No shortage of staff in those days, why now?.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 June 23 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hear hear !
(Oops ought that to be here here?)

I get quite flustered at the self check outs especially if there are impatient people waiting after me.
A short while ago, in Morrison’s I put coins in the slot where that is on Tesco machines ,only in M’s it was for coupons so I lost £5-80 !
I am still lying down in a dark room!

Another glorious day here but again a cool breeze.
Washing almost ready to hang up.

Son off to Chiropractor ,stiff neck and shoulders from hours on the computers. He had worked at home on four since Covid and no sign of them going back to the office either.Only three here so a bit harder .
Not had long to wait for the appointment ,I am glad to say, I can see it is really painful.

Hope everyone is alright, thanks for the news ,all welcome .
A little cheery note to end on, I inadvertently cut the leading stem of my Captain Sir Tom Rose, however it has come back really sturdy ,I am so pleased, good thick dark red stem so not a wild shoot .
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

P.S .L. M. —- So many people on benefits and unemployed I do not understand it either.
This is not a criticism of the unemployed because I have never been that so have no real idea what is wrong, but somewhere something has gone wrong .
That there are staff shortages yet people drawing unemployment pay.
It is understandable that bus fares etc eat into pay and it might well be more economical to not work and get paid less ,yet end up a little better off.
It needs sorting out !
Viktoria.