Author Topic: Cornwall to Scotland  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall to Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:22 BST (UK) »

I did stumble across one odd record on Ancestry yesterday: apparently Honour had a stay in a workhouse. I didn’t quite understand the reason, but it seemed like she was exhausted and didn’t have the resources to pay for lodging. I’m going to explore that a little further and see if there’s an entry for George as well, as I’d imagine they might have been traveling together.

Sometimes people checked into the workhouse to take use of the hospital medical facilities there (which were free). They discharged themselves when they had recovered.
Elwyn

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 June 23 06:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for the information that has been posted, it has let me find ancestors another generation or two back (including another Honour (which sounds odd to modern ears, but if we can have as names Faith and Hope, why not Charity and Honour?)), giving me some firm roots in Cornwall.

While Honor/Honour is a rare forename in US, it's not particularly unusual in UK.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_(given_name)
Best example being actress Honor Blackman.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 June 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for the information that has been posted, it has let me find ancestors another generation or two back (including another Honour (which sounds odd to modern ears, but if we can have as names Faith and Hope, why not Charity and Honour?)), giving me some firm roots in Cornwall.

While Honor/Honour is a rare forename in US, it's not particularly unusual in UK.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honor_(given_name)
Best example being actress Honor Blackman.

Thank you, I realized sometime after I posted that, as much as I try not to, I had expressed a rather US-centric statement. Apologies.

Perhaps interesting that in all my genealogical excavations, this is my first encounter with the name Honour, then finding two, and only in exploring a Cornish branch. Most of my maternal ancestors are found in Scotland, and it seems half of them are George or Mary. I wonder how much of that is due to Scottish naming conventions, and how much might possibly be being named after royals. (Or, starting as named after royals and being perpetuated by naming conventions.)

Re: US-centrisms, I’m finding it interesting how that is affected by my realizing that my family has more or less 120 years’ presence here, but hundreds of years of roots elsewhere. Genealogy is giving me more than the names of family.
Mom’s side: Harris, Stevens, Fairlie, Clark, McFarlane, Menzies, Munro, Donald, Brown
Dad’s side: Farace, Ferraro, Ferrara, Bonito