Author Topic: Cornwall to Scotland  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall to Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hanes, thank you for that link. A quick search brought up not only the marriage record, but also Honour’s baptism record from 1792. I will explore it further. Those being transcripts, I wonder if the images are available on Ancestry.

Rena, thank you for that information, the journey seems reasonable. I would imagine overland by horsecart would take longer.

Jebber, that’s something I’ve been pondering before I dig into another line of family that supposedly came to Scotland from County Down, which is now in Northern Ireland but of course they came before the division. That’s for another day, but I wonder if that complicates the search.
Mom’s side: Harris, Stevens, Fairlie, Clark, McFarlane, Menzies, Munro, Donald, Brown
Dad’s side: Farace, Ferraro, Ferrara, Bonito

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 17:22 BST (UK) »
To give you an idea about the length of the journey.

Somewhere in my files, I have a 19th century advert by a sailing ship's owner.   The journey from Aberdeen to London was six hours by sea.  The North Sea down the east coast of the UK is quite a treacherous ocean.   

From Glasgow through the Irish Sea down to Cornwall could probably take the same amount of time or a bit longer with a fair wind.

Roughly 500 miles port to port? Average speed 80mph or 70 knots an hour? 

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 17:23 BST (UK) »
1841 census Ancestry have transcribed surname as Havens

Ref

Piece   143
Book   17
Folio   8
Page number   8
Household Members (Name)   Age
George Havens 52
Honor Havens   48
Elonora Havens 25
Mary Havens 20
Elizabeth Havens 19
Ellen Havens 13
Lavinia Havens 9
John Havens 15
William Havens 14  occupation Mason
Erwin Havens 13
Vivian Havens 11
George Havens 7

John

added, Not sure if library editions of Anc* have access to public tree, but there is quite a comprehensive one on there that tallies when checking out.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 17:26 BST (UK) »

Jebber, that’s something I’ve been pondering before I dig into another line of family that supposedly came to Scotland from County Down, which is now in Northern Ireland but of course they came before the division. That’s for another day, but I wonder if that complicates the search.

Hundreds of thousands of people from Ireland went to Scotland for work during the 1800s and 1900s. Indeed they still do. It’s a short, cheap easy journey (11 miles across at the closest point) and many went from Co Down. Another domestic journey with no shipping records kept.
Elwyn

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hanes, thank you for that link. A quick search brought up not only the marriage record, but also Honour’s baptism record from 1792. I will explore it further. Those being transcripts, I wonder if the images are available on Ancestry.

Rena, thank you for that information, the journey seems reasonable. I would imagine overland by horsecart would take longer.

Transcripts are available at Familysearch, FindMyPast and the OPC site I referred you to - but not sight of the originals. As a betting man my money's on Ancestry delivering the same.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 19:47 BST (UK) »

As a betting man my money's on Ancestry delivering the same.

How much are you willing to bet,--A pint of "Felinfoel's Double Dragon"

John

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 19:50 BST (UK) »
I ran up to the town library and checked Ancestry. They had the image for the census. For BMD records, though, just transcripts, and with less information than the other sources.

I can see why George Stevens was indexed as George Havens in the 1841 census. I never would have found that. Thank you for the help.

Mom’s side: Harris, Stevens, Fairlie, Clark, McFarlane, Menzies, Munro, Donald, Brown

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 20:05 BST (UK) »

As a betting man my money's on Ancestry delivering the same.

How much are you willing to bet,--A pint of "Felinfoel's Double Dragon"

John

John,
Oh dear, I was torn about introducing the betting angle and its not being there and, of course, it has come back with a vengeance to bite me on the backside. I suppose it's also a fair reflection of my gee gee betting.
As for "Feelin' Foul's** Double Dragon", sampled one or two yesterday. You'll be having a wee dram perhaps? Send me the bar bill.

** - doesn't reflect the quality of the brew, just our affectionate name for a much loved tipple.
regards

Offline Rfarace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 20:50 BST (UK) »
So, I’m thinking that I should endeavor to dig deep and try harder to locate William in the 1851 census, most likely either in Cornwall or Scotland, to try to narrow down the window of his move. Complicated by spelling variations I’d never have considered. (Havens? How did you find that?)

That Double Dragon sounds yummy! (I looked it up.) I’ve not seen it here in the US, but I’ll keep my eyes open. I wonder how it compares to Belhaven Ale, which is on tap at my local Scottish pub. (Same pub which has, in less than a year, caused me to develop a taste for strongly peated Islay whisky. “Welcome to the dark side,” they said.)