Author Topic: Trying to find the parents of John Davidson born 1771 in Botriphine  (Read 535 times)

Offline AJDesigns

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find the parents of John Davidson born 1771 in Botriphine
« on: Tuesday 30 May 23 10:56 BST (UK) »
He married Jennet SMOLLETT [[SMOUT] 1 Feb 1791
She was born 1768 in Blairshinnoch
Children were
Anne b: 1791
Alexander b1796
William b 1797
Elizabeth b: 1800
James b: 1802
Mary b: 1804
John b: 1806
Janet b: 1808
Hellen b: 1811
George b 1813 - my ancestor

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the parents of John Davidson born 1771 in Botriphine
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 22:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat :)

In the index to the parish registers on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk there is a baptism of John, son of James Davidson and Helen Roy, on 21 April 1771. Have you looked at the original document?

This John Davidson was only 19 when your John Davidson married Jannet Smollett/Smout. Most young men had not established themselves sufficiently by the age of 19 to be able to maintain a wife and children.

Also, I note that James was his third son and Helen his 5th daughter, which might suggest that John's parents' names were not James and Helen. The naming tradition suggests that they might have been Alexander and Elizabeth.

Do you think this is your John Davidson? If so, what additional information are you looking for?

If he isn't, what evidence do you have that yours was born in 1771 in Botriphnie?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AJDesigns

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply
I don't have any firm evidence who their parents are.
The problem is that Davidson is a common surname in the area and they tended to repeat christian names down the families.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 16:34 BST (UK) »
I’m guessing below might be the marriage, I note the record for John already posted but I do not see the one for Jannet that you mention in 1768, what were her parents names?.

JOHN DAVIDSON   MARRIED   JANNET SMART   01/02/1791   BANFF

Eldest child born soon after the marriage.
DAVIDSON   ANN   JOHN DAVIDSON/JANNET SMOUT   03/07/1791   BANFF

I note the other children born BOYNDIE, MOTHER, SMOLLET, SMOLET, SMOLLAT

HOWEVER I DO NOT SEE A RECORD IN BANFF FOR GEORGE ON SP?

I wonder if another child was born between Ann 1791 and Alexander 1796?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 17:24 BST (UK) »
I see a death of George Davidson, aged 50, in Gamrie, mother's maiden surname Smollet.

There is no obvious link to Botriphnie. Boyndie, Banff and Gamrie are neighbouring parishes on the coast. Botriphnie is an inland parish in the foothills of the Grampian Mountains, about 35 miles south-west of Banff.

Blairshinnoch is in the parish of Banff, a stone's throw from its boundary with Boyndie. See
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14.7&lat=57.64770&lon=-2.61660&layers=5&b=1&marker=57.65100,-2.59645 and https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ6462
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 23 10:10 BST (UK) »
Seems unlikely but could this be GEORGE DAVIDSON?
JAS. DAVIDSON/JEAN TORIE
10/12/1814
GAMRIE AND MACDUFF

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 June 23 10:33 BST (UK) »
I don't think so.

(1) The husband of Janet Sm*t was John Davidson. The husband of Jean Tor*, according to the baptisms of their four recorded children, was James Davidson.

(2) Janet Sm*t married John D in 1791. That's 31 years before Jean Tor*s youngest child was baptised in 1822. So unless Jean Sm*t was exceptionally young at her marriage, she would probably have been past childbearing by 1822.

(3) George Davidson, mother's maiden name Torry, died in New Deer in 1884, age given as 66. Though of course he could be a child of different parents - need to view the death certificate to check.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 June 23 12:26 BST (UK) »
I appreciate the comments Forfarian but the fact there does not appear to be a record for George, father John, it crossed my mind that George the son of James, may be a family relative, was brought up by John & Jannet?

Of course it may simply be that George son of John was not baptised.

Colin

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 June 23 12:31 BST (UK) »
Either is of course possible.

I suspect that in fact it's just that George's baptism was not recorded.