Author Topic: RIPON phone number help  (Read 524 times)

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RIPON phone number help
« on: Tuesday 30 May 23 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all, this is a strange request! While searching for someone's birth family and a mother that has no mention after about 1948 I today found a newspaper advert in 1989 in a Manchester (her birth area) paper. Someone with the phone number 0765 89866 is seeking the husband of this lady (he had died long before that).  I am trying to find out who this number might belong to. I have tried calling all variations of updated number I can think of and they don't exist. I have started ploughing through the BT phone book for the area (Harrogate area) and have done A-C so far!! The latest phone book available was 1984. Numbers starting 89 tend to be the Masham area? I am thinking maybe this was a solicitor or the like and that the lady had died there. All speculation. The lady in question is called Marian Royle born 1915. Also a possibility she was attached to a religious order?
Anyone have any ideas how I can find any more about this advert or the phone number?
Thanks for any suggestions
Heather

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: RIPON phone number help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 11:59 BST (UK) »
The code for Ripon is 01765.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 12:03 BST (UK) »
There is a piece in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle 13 July 1989 which gives the name and address  of the person who was looking for Marian Royle. I won't give the details as it is possible she is living.
( I'm assuming you have access to newspapers on FindMyPast ? ) Marian Royle was the lady's birth mother.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 12:05 BST (UK) »
There is a piece in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle 13 July 1989 which gives the name and address  of the person who was looking for Marian Royle. I won't give the details as it is possible she is living.
( I'm assuming you have access to newspapers on FindMyPast ? ) Marian Royle was the lady's birth mother.

Yes I saw that too. She mentions another family member.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 12:14 BST (UK) »

Yes I saw that too. She mentions another family member.

It also mentions her birth name. The birth can be found in the index with the mothers' maiden name and this points to a marriage for Marian HYDE and Frank ROYLE in 1941.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 12:37 BST (UK) »
To be honest Heviside, if that phone number was from 1989 I very much doubt they still have the same one. They say that a large percentage of people no longer have a landline,most youngsters indeed prefer mobile phones (although we still have the same landline number that we've had since 1979)

Although now you have the correct Ripon area code maybe you could try again?

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 12:47 BST (UK) »
The updated Ripon number seems to be a current source of a great number of scam calls - according to who-called.co.uk - probably no longer in real use

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 13:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol and Christine, yes I already know about the Newcastle connection. The lady was seeking her brother who was sent to Newcastle and they had a successful reunion. The Ripon ad was nothing to do with her so that's my new info. Just gives me another area to search.

Thanks everyone for your replies and I know the phone number is a long shot but worth looking!

Regards
Heather

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 14:17 BST (UK) »
But the Newcastle Evening Chronicle ad gives the same Ripon phone number as the ad in the MEN.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon