Author Topic: Dunscore, Dumfriesshire  (Read 565 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunscore, Dumfriesshire
« on: Tuesday 30 May 23 14:42 BST (UK) »
Were there any large estates in the Dunscore area around 1800, please?  Himself has a relative (4xGGF) who was noted on his son's death registration as a 'gamekeeper'. 
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dunscore, Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 18:41 BST (UK) »
Not sure about an Estate but this on GENUKI might be of interest.

"DUNSCORE, a parish in the district of Nithsdale, in the county of Dumfries, Scotland, 4 miles S. of Minihive. It is situated on the river Cairn, between the rivers Urr and Nith. The Glasgow and South-Western railway passes near the E. end of the parish. Communication is also established by the road from Dumfries to Glasgow. The parish is in the presbytery and synod of Dumfries. The minister's stipend is £171, in the patronage of the crown. In the village is the parish church, a Free church, United Presbyterian church and parochial schools. Adjoining the village is Ellisland, or Friar's Carse Farm, which belonged to Burns in 1792. He is said to have founded here the first village library established in Scotland."

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 18:47 BST (UK) »
Your best plan would be to look up the Statistical Accounts of Dunscore at https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/parish/Dumfries/Dunscore and see what they say about the heritors - the principal landowners.

The other resource that might help with this question is the Valuation Rolls, whch can be consulted at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. The earliest available one is half a century later, but you should be able to get an idea of who owned what land and whether any specific person owned a large number of properties.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 June 23 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. 

The website you quoted, forfarian, gives a map of the area, 3 dates of 1792, 1792, and 1845 and the parish priest's names (obviously, the first 2 are the same man).  It also gives a description of the boundaries of the village.  Entering Friars Carse Farm (thank you for that titbit of info. CoIC!) in the Help box showed that:

"...After the Reformation, the ESTATE of Friars Carse was acquired by the Laird of Allisland or Ellisland, an adjoining farm...".

The map shows a couple of wooded areas and a loch (I don't think it's very big) so gamekeeping may have been a necessity.

It would appear that there is now a country house hotel "set in a 45-acre" estate, which maybe is the remains of a large estate way back when.

So, no sign of a 'big estate', but maybe the farmer needed a 'gamekeeper' for the land he did hold.  As my rellie (Humprey Paterson 1789 - bef. 1841) was only 11 when the 18th century ended, it would seem that he probably worked there from around 1810. 

I think I shall have to dig around a bit and maybe visit the village when next we visit Scotland.

But thank you, both, for your time and effort.

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 June 23 16:32 BST (UK) »
Just a thought.

When I was tracing my D& G ancestors, I had great help from the Session Clerk of  Parton Parish. I wonder if the Dunscore Parish Clerk might be able to help:

https://dunscorechurch.org.uk/contact/

Gadget

PS - They have a wealth of local historical knowledge
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 June 23 16:41 BST (UK) »
The website you quoted, forfarian, gives a map of the area, 3 dates of 1792, 1792, and 1845 and the parish priest's names (obviously, the first 2 are the same man).
To see the full articles you need to click separately on each of the three different titles listed in the box at upper right. See screenshot.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 June 23 15:43 BST (UK) »
Forfarian:  Duh, why didn't I think of that...to be fair, it was later in the afternoon and I'd had quite a busy day dealing with my own 'estate' so obviously wasn't thinking straight.  I'll have a go in a minute, thanks for the gentle nudge - though sometimes, I seem to need a huge shove to see what's under my nose!! (and please don't hesitate if its needed ;D)

I'll also try the church website you suggested, gadget.

This 'rellie' is from Himself's family and so far he's been the only gamekeeper, most of them seemed to work on the land.  I, too, have gamekeepers in Scotland in my line, but I've managed to trace their employers (with one it was easy, he just named two of his daughters after his employer's daughters, including the surname as a forename!).

Thank you both for your insight.

lydiaann
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 June 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
Much later, but possibly the same estate?

4 August 1917: Dumfries and Galloway Standard

Furnished Mansion-House and Shootings

To LET, with immediate entry, for Three Months or such period as may be arranged,

THE MANSION HOUSE Of STROQUHAN, in the Parish of Dunscore and County of Dumfries, with SHOOTINGS extending to 2200 Acres.

The House, which contains Four Public Rooms, Billiard Room, Eight Bedrooms, Kitchen, Laundry, etc., etc., is very Well Furnished.

There is an excellent Garden and Greenhouses, Porter's Lodge, Gamekeeper's Cottage, Garage.

The Services of the Gamekeeper will be available.

The Mansion-House is pleasantly situated, is ten miles from Dumfries and one mile from Dunscore Station.

Rent as may be arranged.

Particulars from John Henderson & Sons, Solicitors, Dumfrles.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 June 23 17:01 BST (UK) »
That sounds interesting, Alan.  I'll have to research that another day, along with the other stuff.  So far, a quick look suggests it is a red sandstone house, 17th century with 18th century additions.  Looking promising!  Thank you.
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee