Author Topic: Dunscore, Dumfriesshire  (Read 566 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dunscore, Dumfriesshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 June 23 15:35 BST (UK) »
Well, forfarian, I've had a read of the Dunscore parish stuff.  I stuck to the 1845 as it seemed more pertinent to my family.  It makes interesting reading - commenting on everything from topology, through meteorology and the education of the young, but doesn't help a lot with the 'estate' I wondered about.  However, The Mansion House of Stroquhan seems to be possibly what I was seeking, although the Lettings Notice does deal with a period of 100 years later.  I shall gather my info. together and see what I need and then contact the Parish Clerk (which may also help with a thorny problem regarding which Agnes of 2 trees really belonged to 'my' Agnes!).

It's obviously a 'winter' riddle - I get called into the garden by my borders (please, miss, Rose here, there's a hollyhock encroaching on my personal space...) at this time of year.  Again, Chatters. my deepest thanks.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 June 23 16:02 BST (UK) »
There are family notices relating to an Anderson family (Robert Anderson Esq.) in Stroquhan starting in ~1810 but this is the first article that I can find relating to the estate itself.

26 July 1828: Edinburgh Evening Courant

DELIGHTFUL RESIDENCE AND ESTATE OF UPPER STROQUHAN FOR SALE.

There is to be Sold by private bargain.
THE ESTATE Of UPPER STROQUHAN now called GLENESSLIN, lying in the parish of Dunscore and county of Dumfries, containing about 320 Scots acres, of which nearly 200 are arable and meadow, about 30 planted, and the remainder sound pasture.

There is a new mansion house fit for the reception of a genteel family on the property, almost surrounded and romantically sheltered with a variety of fine old wood, and, contiguous to it, a set of excellent offices.

The land, which was till lately in the occupation of the proprietor, is naturally deep and productive, and at present it is in a high state of cultivation, subdivided into well-sized fields, which are substantially inclosed, well watered, and sheltered. – There is a large quantity of old and valuable wood, besides thriving young plantations on the property.

The distance from Dumfries is about ten miles, and the roads excellent.

The property, which holds of the Crown, is let for £200 a year, on a lease that expires at Whitsunday next, and the public burdens are a mere trifle; the stipend, which can never be increased, being only £1, 6s. 6d. yearly.

For particulars apply to William Bell, Esq. W. S., Edinburgh; Gordon and Harkness, writers in Dumries; or Mr Thomas Smith, at Upper Ingliston, who will give directions for showing the lands,

Dumfries,5th July, 1828
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 June 23 17:42 BST (UK) »
Found this don't know if it helps from male servants tax rolls for 1797 Stroquhan a James Moffat gamekeeper bachelor and the master is an Alexander moffat

Harrywrag

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Harry.  As the gamekeeper was a bachelor, it won't be the papa of my Humphrey Paterson (whose dad was Humphrey also).  It looks as though the Moffats reigned supreme, if the gamekeeper and 'master' (that wouldn't be the owner, I don't think) were both of that name...a case of nepotism perhaps!!

It's a bit tough, this one.  I think, as I said, I'll make it my 'go-to' place on our next visit to Scotland...it will be interesting to travel around the places mentioned in my records of the family and go grave-hunting once again (and this time, Himself won't be able to grumble too much as it will be HIS family we're looking for!).

I'll consider this closed now...thank you all for your usual help and guidance.

lydiaann
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee