Author Topic: Mortgage Translation  (Read 335 times)

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mortgage Translation
« on: Wednesday 31 May 23 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hello

I've picked up the narrative of a mortgage that references one relative and, hopefully, that of another! Can you help me understand what is going on here and what could be inferred from the relationships (if anything!!)?

Specifically, local businessmen lending each other money appears to be a common pursuit in 18th century Cheshire, but why would it be of someone's instance?

Many thanks

Neil

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mortgage Translation
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 13:04 BST (UK) »
Here’s the Mortgage with understandable words:

No. 225

On June 11, 1730, William Whitelegg who resides at Lane End in Northen, also known as Northerden, and William Leigh who resides at Mobberley, both farmers, arranged a mortgage. This was done upon the request of Mary Jepson, the widow of George Jepson, a deceased farmer, who last resided at Mobberley. This mortgage was made to William Royle who resided at Hale, a farmer. The property being mortgaged is a house in Mobberley, which was previously owned by Elizabeth Waterhouse and is currently in the possession of the late George Jepson.

Edit:

Yeomen basically means a Landowner (mostly farms) who is also a farmer.

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mortgage Translation
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:10 BST (UK) »
Here’s the Mortgage with understandable words:

No. 225

On June 11, 1730, William Whitelegg who resides at Lane End in Northen, also known as Northerden, and William Leigh who resides at Mobberley, both farmers, arranged a mortgage. This was done upon the request of Mary Jepson, the widow of George Jepson, a deceased farmer, who last resided at Mobberley. This mortgage was made to William Royle who resided at Hale, a farmer. The property being mortgaged is a house in Mobberley, which was previously owned by Elizabeth Waterhouse and is currently in the possession of the late George Jepson.

Edit:

Yeomen basically means a Landowner (mostly farms) who is also a farmer.

Many thanks for spending the time responding to my message! I guess my question was less about the translation of language and more about the nature of the deal. Two farmers providing the capital for a loan/mortgage to a third party appears common (in the absence of a High Street Bank!) BUT why would others be involved in the transaction?

Thanks again

Neil