Author Topic: Cost of Death Certificate  (Read 319 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cost of Death Certificate
« on: Wednesday 31 May 23 08:49 BST (UK) »
Have just received a copy of a basic Death Certificate which gives date of death - marital status - place of death of relative who died in St Catharine.  (I am UK based.)
Enquired about getting a full Certificate giving cause of Death and full address and been quoted a charge of $5270.
Surely that can't be right ??

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of Death Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 08:58 BST (UK) »
Is it St Catherines, Ontario?
The cost is between $25 and $75 - I'm guessing the $75 is for the full death certificate?

See here:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-or-replace-ontario-birth-certificate

Maybe a Canadian rootschatter can confirm?

Update: for some reason the death certificate link takes you to birth certificate. To get a full death certificate with cause of death you'll need to to so in writing. There is a pdf form online but the computer I'm using won't let me see it!

This https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-get-copy-ontario-death-certificate-online#section-2 seems to suggests $22 for a death certificate - I understand that you'll have to prove a family link to get a death certificate with the cause of death.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of Death Certificate
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, Zetlander,

I'm in St. Catharines, Ontario with plenty of experience in obtaining Ontario certificates.  I think the fee you were quoted was missing the decimal point, so, most likely CAD$52.70 - the cost of mailing is added to the certificate fee.

Depending on the year that your person died you will not get cause of death as part of a regular death certificate.  Cause of death has to be applied for on a separate certificate.

Otherwise, here is the information on who can order a death certificate:

Death Information
What information do I need to provide on the Online Death Certificate Application?
You must provide:

First and last name or single name of the deceased subject
Sex
Date of death
City or town of death
Parental information about the deceased subject.
If applicable, information about his or her spouse or partner.

Who is entitled to apply for a death certificate?
There are no restrictions on who may apply for a death certificate.

Who is entitled to apply for a certified copy of a statement of death?
The deceased's Next of Kin or their authorized representative may apply for a certified copy of a statement of death. Next of kin of the deceased includes his/her parents, spouse or common-law partner, children and siblings. If all the Next of Kin are deceased, Extended Next of Kin or their authorized representative may apply. Extended Next of Kin relationships include aunt, uncle, first cousin, grandchild, grandparent, nephew and niece.

Next of Kin Certification

The Office of the Registrar General requires you to certify online that you are the Next of Kin or, that, the Next of Kin is deceased and you are the Extended Next of Kin.

Deaths Prior to 1980
Historical events, such as deaths prior to 1980, may not be in electronic format. When applying for a death certificate prior to 1980, it can take up to an extra 6-8 weeks for the registration to be converted into an electronic format before processing can be completed. Records that are not available electronically are not included in the Service Guarantee.

Here is the link to order the certificate online  https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/scr01_WelcomePage.do

If there is anything I can lookup for you in St. Catharines, please let me know.

(My 3x great-grandmother was born in Reafirth, Mid Yell.)
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE