Author Topic: Obits, Benjamin Carman and Ferguson Carman  (Read 444 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Obits, Benjamin Carman and Ferguson Carman
« on: Wednesday 31 May 23 21:07 BST (UK) »
Wondering if anyone can help me find obits for the following father and son:

Benjamin Carman, b. 15 May 1838 in Burwash, Sussex, died 23 Sep 1915 Ancaster, ON;

and the wonderfully named

Ferguson Nightingale Carman, b. ca Jul 1870, Etchingham, Sussex (mother was Ann Nightingale), and according to Find-a-Grave, is buried in Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg, dying 7 Aug 1949.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Obits, Benjamin Carman and Ferguson Carman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:10 BST (UK) »
Still looking but did find a death notice for Alice May Carman, aged 13, at her residence, 1930 Rosser Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba. Youngest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Ferguson N. Carman. One sister and four brothers also survive. In the Winnipeg Tribune on 17 August 1929. Died the previous day.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:12 BST (UK) »
Still looking but did find a death notice for Alice May Carman, aged 13, at her residence, 1930 Rosser Avenue, Brandon, Manitoba. Youngest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Ferguson N. Carman. One sister and four brothers also survive. In the Winnipeg Free Press on 17 August 1929. Died the previous day.

Thank you for this, Eileen!  Poor girl, to die so young.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:20 BST (UK) »
Winnipeg Tribune, 8 August 1949:

Ferguson Nightingale Carman, 79, of Suite 6, Albany Apartments, died Sunday in Winnipeg. Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in Clark Leatherdale's Funeral Home, Rev. D. Pierce Jones officiating. Burial will be in Brookside Cemetery.

Born in England, Mr. Carman came to Canada 57 years ago. He was a collector with Oliver Ltd. until his retirement 17 years ago. Mr. Carman was a member of All Saints Anglican Church.

Survived by his widow Grace; four sons, Gilbert, Rathwell, Manitoba; Hugh, Detroit; George Portage la Prairie; W.S., Winnipeg; a daughter Mrs. N.J. Gardiner, Winnipeg; two brothers Ben & Hugh, both of England; a sister Mrs. A. Foreman, England.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:26 BST (UK) »
Benjamin died in the House of Refuge in Dundas with no one to provide his parents' names so unlikely there was anyone to write an obituary. I'm not finding one in any event.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:33 BST (UK) »
That's great information on Ferguson's obit, thanks again! 
I had found Benjamin's death record on Anc*.  Rather odd his circumstances, as he had substantial family back in England.  His wife outlived him.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 22:40 BST (UK) »
He's noted as a widower on the death record. He's also not living with his wife in the 1901 or 1911 census.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 June 23 01:10 BST (UK) »
He's noted as a widower on the death record. He's also not living with his wife in the 1901 or 1911 census.

I will go back and check my tree and check the info I have on his wife; I do have a death date after his death.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 June 23 01:12 BST (UK) »
Looks like he came to the US and then Canada around 1885 with an F. Carman but no wife.