Author Topic: Pig Market, Bordesley Street, Birmingham - could someone live there ?  (Read 349 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pig Market, Bordesley Street, Birmingham - could someone live there ?
« on: Thursday 01 June 23 12:08 BST (UK) »
I have a birth certificate for William Henry Fisher (yes that family again !) son of James Arthur Fisher and Charlotte.  In 1891 James Arthur was shown as Master Butcher, and they were living High Street, Kings Heath, but just 2 years later by 1893, when this son was born, father is shown as Night Watchman at the Pig Market, Bordesley Street, but the address for the birth and the residence for Charlotte is shown as the Pig Market, Bordesley Street.   I have researched  the Pig Market, Birmingham but couldn't find anything to say people actually lived there.   I am presuming as it was alcohol that eventually killed him in 1911, maybe it was already affecting him so that he could no longer continue as a butcher.    Doesn't sound the sort of place to bring up a young family !
(Can someone remind me please how to Complete a posting)
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pig Market, Bordesley Street, Birmingham - could someone live there ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 23 13:27 BST (UK) »
Bits and bobs here about Bordesley Street's Pubs with a mention of the pig market. Just click on the 3 dots at the top right of the page, then Find, then enter pig market as your words to look for.

https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/bordesley-street/

I have an ancestor who was born in the Sheep Market, Spalding. I assume it must have just been the name of the market place and that it would have been surrounded by houses.
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 23 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I have seen that website.   I think I will need to find a map showing where the Pig Market was in Bordesley Street, around 1890's to see what houses there were.   Maybe a visit to the main library in Birmingham.  I just wonder why the address was not just a number in Bordesley Street though.
Thank you for the details on how to Complete a posting.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 23 17:05 BST (UK) »
I used various search terms at the BNA and found very few references to Bordseley Street pig market. In fact they mostly date from 1894 when there seems to have been a dispute about whether it should be licensed – apparently it was a private competitor of an official site in Montague Street. I'm not posting any articles because they aren't very informative. I suspect that it was a short-lived enterprise, unless it changed its name.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 23 21:14 BST (UK) »
1889 town plan - Bordesley Street in two parts
https://maps.nls.uk/view/228801998
https://maps.nls.uk/view/228802001

Runs into Little Ann street
https://maps.nls.uk/view/228802016

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 June 23 21:48 BST (UK) »
Some details here https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/photos/item/DP219837

See also:

Bordesley Street - Former Pig Market

...The three-gabled brick building on the opposite corner of Allison Street dates from 1891-2 and was originally used as a pig market. A stone laid on February 16th 1892 by Joseph Horton Esq. can be seen on the Bordesley Street frontage....
www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/bordesley-street/

I think building is now listed www.birmingham.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/985/locally_listed_buildings.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 June 23 21:56 BST (UK) »
The 1894 dispute mentions pig markets at Bordesley Street and New Canal Street with a proposal to license a pig market in Montague Street.
On Bordesley Street there is a Fat Stock Sale Yard. On New Canal Street there is a Provincial Hide, Skin & Fat Market.
Possibilities?

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 June 23 17:56 BST (UK) »
The 1894 dispute about "pig markets" also mentions Allison Street and Upper Dean Street.

Upper Dean Street 1889 shows "Slaughter Houses, St Martin's Meat Market and Smithfield Market".
https://maps.nls.uk/view/228802013

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for further replies - I have only just seen them.  I will explore more tomorrow.