Author Topic: Swinburnes of Hewthwaite  (Read 372 times)

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swinburnes of Hewthwaite
« on: Thursday 01 June 23 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Does anyone have any information, or know where I can access information, on the Swinburne family of Hewthwaite/Huthwayte manor or hall, near Cockermouth, Cumberland during the late 17th into 18th century. Not much information of detail if any on Ancestry, Freereg or Family Search.
Possible baps and burials on Cockermouth and Isell records but can't link them properly without access to originals. Are these digitised online?
Individuals are Richard Swinburne & Eleanor Bouche (poss issue 1661-72, John, Edward, Henry, Anthony and Richard). Also issue of John and wife Winifred Lawson (poss issue between 1683 and 1707). Can't find marr. Certs of these either. Winifred was daughter of Sir Wilfred Lawson.
Any help appreciated.
Craig
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Swinburnes of Hewthwaite
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 23 15:01 BST (UK) »
Individuals are Richard Swinburne & Eleanor Bouche (poss issue 1661-72, John, Edward, Henry, Anthony and Richard).

Based on the fact that his first son was called John, it seems likely that this is Richard's baptism:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4VBH-7F6Z

John Swinburne Esq. of Eusthwaite [sic] Cockermouth died in 1646 and there is a probate entry for him. Probate Date: 24 Nov 1646/Box Number: R243B/88.

It looks like there is also one for Richard dated 31 Jan 1714, although the residence is given as Cockermouth, Brigham.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to order a copy of these? Cannot guarantee the contents but it is worth a punt, in my opinion. This far back, I find wills are the best option for confirming relationships.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 June 23 22:45 BST (UK) »
If you have a look at Cumberland Council's CASCAT catalogue, there are a quite a few mentions of the Swinburn(e)'s of Hewthwaite.  While these are only the catalogue references to the actual documents there is some information within the references.
This one has a mention of Richard Swinburne of Hewthwaite
https://archiveweb.cumbria.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=DLAW%2f1%2f198&pos=12
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 June 23 03:05 BST (UK) »
Doesn't really help as you probably already know this information:

"... of Sir Wilfred's eight daughters ... and Winifred to John Swinburne, of Hewthwaite, all in the county of Cumberland, Esqrs. Sir Wilfred represented the county of Cumberland in parliament at the restoration, and the year following served for Cockermouth, in that county; and died, 1689."

The baronetage of England: containing a genealogical and historical account of all the English baronets now existing: with their descents, marriages, and Memorable Actions both in War and Peace. Collected from Authentic Manuscripts, Records, Old Wills, our best Historians, and other Authorities. Illustrated with their coats of arms, engraven on copper-plates. Also, a list of all the baronets, who have been advanced to that dignity, from the first Institution thereof. To which is added, An account of such Nova-Scotia baronets as are of English families; and a dictionary of heraldry, Explaining such Terms as are commonly used in English Armory. By E. Kimber and R. Johnson.   pub 1771

Offline ellerydesign

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 20:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks all for your informative posts and suggestions, and my apologies for not replying sooner. I've just discovered your replies which for some obscure reason we're in my spam folder. I'll have a good look at your comments. Many thanks.
Ellery, Bye, Trimmel/Trimnell, Palmer, Tanner, Ody(e), Webb, Paradise in Wiltshire.
Ellery, Painter in Gloucestershire.
Ellery, Clift in London, Middlesex and Surrey.
Clift, Rolfe in Springfield, Essex.
Ellery, McBeth/McBeath, Towar, Morrison, Young in Stirlingshire.
Young, Cuthbert in Perthshire.
Hill, Fairweather, McKinlay, Ramsay in Caithness and Edinburgh.
McNicoll, Bogue, Coupar, Bowman, Lumgair, Weir in Arbroath and Angus.