Author Topic: Death of cousin  (Read 568 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Death of cousin
« on: Saturday 03 June 23 12:31 BST (UK) »
My cousin who died last year , has several trees on Ancestry, her DNA is also on there. Is there any way I can get a note on her profile to say she is no longer with us. So her contacts and anyone looking at her public trees can see it?  I am assuming it has to be her husband who does this? I am not even certain he knows how to use the computer!! I am sorry if this question has already been asked. I did look  ;)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of cousin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 23 13:01 BST (UK) »
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 23 13:32 BST (UK) »
I have two relatives (M and B, on different sides of the family) who have passed away since subscribing to Ancestry and posting their DNA results.
The sister of M just seems to have taken over the account and changed the user name to her own. But has not made any note to say that her sister has passed. M also managed her son's DNA and her sister appears to have taken that over too. It probably makes very little difference as far as DNA matches are concerned, for distant relatives like myself, because I am a half third cousin once removed to both M  and her sister.
B died more recently and again his relatives haven't made any note on his Ancestry account. Possibly don't know he had one.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 June 23 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the article. I do not have access to any of her details. So nothing on there would work for me. I don't want to take over her DNA or her tree. Just a comment on her profile page to let anyone know she is deceased. Sadly that does not seem possible. Thank you  for your replies.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 23:39 BST (UK) »
Maybe what I have done can help others.

I have a printed file that our family is aware of and inside it is all our access details for Ancestry, ie user name, email, password etc.

Our DNA is downloaded to secure storage

All software is listed together with serial numbers

Computer, tablet and mobile phone passwords etc are listed

Other informations like bank accounts and savings and pensions are also detailed

Wills are there as well together with the Solicitors info as they hold our deeds

You probably have the jist by now

As we are mid 70’s its better to be organised.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 01:56 BST (UK) »
Several of my DNA matches (personally unknown to me) are deceased. I discovered this due to simple   “Googling” of their names - some of the more distinctive ones that is.

I’m not sure that it matters too much if someone in an online tree is marked as deceased or not, but that’s just my personal opinion.

Someone taking over control of her DNA I feel would be quite important if there are any close relatives who would be interested in doing so, even if just to monitor if any new close matches appear in the future.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 11:22 BST (UK) »
Excellent idea Biggles. Sadly my cousin had her laptop password protected and her husband could not get into it.  I think I need to follow your example as my husband already has said he would not be able to do our online banking/ household bills etc if anything happened to me!!

Someone taking over control of her DNA I feel would be quite important if there are any close relatives who would be interested in doing so, even if just to monitor if any new close matches appear in the future.

I am her only close relative interested in the family tree. But it is not so easy to "take over" too many legal papers required. So this will not happen. Thank you anyway.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 23:41 BST (UK) »
I thought someone may have access to her DNA account - passwords etc, but it’s a shame that is not the case,  :-\

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 June 23 10:20 BST (UK) »
Sadly yes. I think we should all take a lesson from Biggles, I certainly am going to.