Author Topic: William Davis 1799-1850 Eling Hampshire & James Judd, b Winterslow 1764-1830  (Read 201 times)

Offline Ricardo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My paternal great third great-grandfather is William Davis, a gardener from Houndsdown, born 1799 Eling Hampshire, died 1850 Eling. According to the most likely baptism record, his parents are possibly John and Mary Davis. John being an infantry soldier.

My father took a DNA test and multiple DNA matches point to a paternal ancestor on this line being related to a James Judd born Winterslow, Wiltshire 1764 and died 1830 Lymington, Hampshire.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Judd-1777

Interestingly James Judd fathered a child to a Mary Davis:

In April 1802 James Judd acknowledged that he was the father of a male child born to Mary Davis of Brockenhurst and was bound £40 for the upkeep of the child. (Winchester Record Office)

This child is George Davis, born 24 March 1802 in Brockenhurst. I believe he may thereafter have called himself George Judd.

This may be purely coincidental, but I could do with help or in researching further. I'm not sure if the John and Mary Davis links back to an earlier Judd parent on Mary's side, or if George Davis is a brother of William Davis. It is worth noting the recurrent surname I get in unknown DNA matches is 'Judd' and there aren't any branches of 'Davis' families linking to generation before William's offspring.

I have the estimated Y Haplogroup from my dads Ancestry DNA test, if that helps identifying William Davis as having Judd parentage.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Davis 1799-1850 Eling Hampshire & James Judd, b Winterslow 1764-1830
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 23 17:07 BST (UK) »
There is a tree online that states that James Judd married Mary Sturgess 21/5/1803 in Wilts. There is a paper copy attached. The child he had with Mary Davis therefore would have been before his first marriage in 1802. His marriage to Mary Pardey states 31/12/1811 in Lymington. On FreeREG it has William Davis born 23/9/1799 baptised 27/10/1799 St Marys Church Eling. Buried 6/7/1850 Eling aged 49 years. On FreeREG also in Eling there was a John James Judd born 2/1/1828 baptised 30/1/1828, Father James, Mother Mary Ann-he was a Farmer living in Marchwood, which is very close to Eling. Maybe this family could be a connection, although it does not tie up with the research, but who knows?
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks