Author Topic: Brickwalls, and the chase of trying to tumble them.  (Read 340 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Brickwalls, and the chase of trying to tumble them.
« on: Saturday 03 June 23 22:05 BST (UK) »
I may have posted about this subject before on The Lighter Side although cannot seen any recent threads in the past 2 or 3 years, but as we will all know, we will come across several brickwalls in our ancestry from time to time, some may be permanent such as gaps in PR's etc. Some may be demolished as more comes online or more trips the old fashioned way like looking through reams of census sheets/parish registers at the FRC or any record office (I did that 20 years ago or more).

But I do like a challenge. I have 3 direct ancestors who said "not born in county" in 1841 census (Essex, Oxfordshire and Middlesex), but the Grim Reaper claimed 2 of them in 1849 and Feb 1851 respectively, the last one died just 5 weeks prior to the 1851 census. If they had all lived to see the 1851 census which gave birthplace (often some just gave a county if living in a diff county, or even country if from abroad) then it would be too easy and I would know. The fact I am always digging for new info is the thrill of the chase.

I think the Essex resident not born in county in 1841 was born in Cambs or Suffolk. The Oxford one, not sure, maybe Bucks due to a lead, as he was a tin plate worker, and in 1851 (he was dead by then of course) about a third of the tin plate workers living in Oxford came from other counties such as Bucks, Berks, London, Bedfordshire, Gloucestershire, one from Norfolk and one from Cornwall. The London (Middlesex) one not born in county in 1841, well a long story as I cannot find her marriage to her first hubby, he was from Dorset originally.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwalls, and the chase of trying to tumble them.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 23 16:18 BST (UK) »
I have pounded at my brick wall(s) for over 15 years so have pretty much given up. 

The initial thrill of pounding has long worn off but good luck to everyone more resilient than me!
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwalls, and the chase of trying to tumble them.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 23 20:43 BST (UK) »
When my ancestor married a witness to his wedding was Hannah Hawkes, and her aunty wed a Joseph Smith. If my ancestor James Smith was related to Hannah he may have been her cousin. But she may just have been a pal of the bride Sarah Inkpen, and it is coincidence due to the very common surname. James could have come from anywhere in England or Wales.

Keep doing my Columbo impression and keep sleuthing.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain