Author Topic: Maurice Hyland  (Read 677 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maurice Hyland
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 June 23 20:41 BST (UK) »

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 June 23 07:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help with this - I now know that he did get to America.

However, he seemed to be determined not to be found after arrival, so I think I may have to file him in my “Too Difficult” bucket!

Everyone efforts are really appreciated.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 June 23 08:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry to intrude on your post - but a year earlier - the Oceanic was responsible for the death of my GG Grandfather from Garston,Liverpool - thought you might like to know what happened ?
copied and pasted
The steamship KINCORA Ss, Capt. Power, plying between Limerick and Liverpool, was run down off the Tuskar Rock in St. George's Channel by the White Star liner Oceanic, 17,274 tons, Capt. Cameron, at 1.15 a.m. on August 8th, 1901, in thick fog.
7 of the crew of the SS Kincora died - only one was found - my GG Grandfather and he is buried in Fethard on Sea close to Tuska Rock in Ireland - I have been to his grave to lay flowers
if you want me to delete this post - let me know  :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 June 23 09:07 BST (UK) »
Can US censuses be searched by address?

I think the address written alongside the entry on the passenger list is 194 Lexington, Newport City, which seems to be in Brooklyn.

The last line of that address is definitely New York City, since the final destination is listed as New York.  There is a Lexington Avenue in Brooklyn and one in Manhattan, but I think they would likely be referring to the one in Manhattan if Brooklyn wasn't specified.

I searched (Anc*try) for   1910 “194 Lexington” New York
Result: Francis Xavier Scott. Marriage Affidavit Date - 29 Aug 1910. Marriage Date and Place - 25 Sep 1910, Manhattan, New York, New York
Residence Street Address - 194 Lexington Ave

1910 Manhattan, NY Census
Francis X. Scott. Age 26. Born in NY, parents born in Ireland.
Address looks like 114 Lexington but listed directly underneath is 192 Lexington so it most likely is 194.
Others in household:
J? Jensen, Annie M. Jensen, Robert Schultz, Chas. M. McEniff?, Adolph Peetz?, and Herbert Lasker?

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 June 23 09:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry to intrude on your post - but a year earlier - the Oceanic was responsible for the death of my GG Grandfather from Garston,Liverpool - thought you might like to know what happened ?
copied and pasted
The steamship KINCORA Ss, Capt. Power, plying between Limerick and Liverpool, was run down off the Tuskar Rock in St. George's Channel by the White Star liner Oceanic, 17,274 tons, Capt. Cameron, at 1.15 a.m. on August 8th, 1901, in thick fog.
7 of the crew of the SS Kincora died - only one was found - my GG Grandfather and he is buried in Fethard on Sea close to Tuska Rock in Ireland - I have been to his grave to lay flowers
if you want me to delete this post - let me know  :)

Happy for this to be left.

The White Star line do seem to have been a bit slapdash, the Oceanic had a few incidents before finally sinking.  And we all know what happened to one of their other ships ....
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 June 23 17:26 BST (UK) »
Can US censuses be searched by address?

I think the address written alongside the entry on the passenger list is 194 Lexington, Newport City, which seems to be in Brooklyn.

The last line of that address is definitely New York City, since the final destination is listed as New York.  There is a Lexington Avenue in Brooklyn and one in Manhattan, but I think they would likely be referring to the one in Manhattan if Brooklyn wasn't specified.

I searched (Anc*try) for   1910 “194 Lexington” New York
Result: Francis Xavier Scott. Marriage Affidavit Date - 29 Aug 1910. Marriage Date and Place - 25 Sep 1910, Manhattan, New York, New York
Residence Street Address - 194 Lexington Ave

1910 Manhattan, NY Census
Francis X. Scott. Age 26. Born in NY, parents born in Ireland.
Address looks like 114 Lexington but listed directly underneath is 192 Lexington so it most likely is 194.
Others in household:
J? Jensen, Annie M. Jensen, Robert Schultz, Chas. M. McEniff?, Adolph Peetz?, and Herbert Lasker?

I’m wondering whether 194 Lexington might have been a lodging or boarding house?