Author Topic: Annie Harper nee Spurdle  (Read 329 times)

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Harper nee Spurdle
« on: Sunday 04 June 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
Annie Spurdle was born in 1846 in Broadwindsor, Dorset, England, her parents were Mary Ann Mullett & Thomas Spurdle. She married George Harper (1844–1893) on 10 Feb 1873 at St Luke, Chelsea, Middlesex. they had  3 children:  Lillie Florence Harper(1875–1952) Croydon, Surrey, England,  Nelly Annie Harper(1876–1960) Walworth, Surrey, England & George Frederick Harper(1878–1915) Clapham, Surrey, England. She appears to  be at Farnham Workhouse, Surrey in 1895: Farnham Union minute books Annie Harper date 3 oct 1895, accepted by poplar union without an order. P11 ref BG4.11.6.
my questions are why was she admitted to farnham & was she ransferred to poplar & if so, why? what dates was she admitted & discharged?
Thank you

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Harper nee Spurdle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 23 22:19 BST (UK) »
It would depend on her history - you usually had to be able to evidence a long-ish term attachment/residence to a location, i.e you couldn't just turn up in Farnham and expect the workhouse to look after you. If you'd been living in Poplar for the previous several years, Farnham would send you back there as that's where you "belonged"  Poor unions were keen to find ways to not take responsibility (ie pay for the upkeep of) for people

I see in 1891 George, Annie and George jnr were living in Poplar (transcribed on Ancestry as Hasper - but definitely them. Annie from Broadwinsor and George is a dock constable, as per Lillie's  marriage cert) so they clearly had links there

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 20:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you. She also shows up in the 1901 census as a widow in her youngest sisters home, its just very curious as to why she was at Farnham. the only link to the area is a brother Eli living in Tolworth. do you know where the workhouse records would be stored? they would have where she was admitted from, when & why? i wondered if maybe she was visiting her brother & became unwell but she survived for many years after. its very strange.
Thanks again

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 13:47 BST (UK) »
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Farnham/ it does not look like much survives from Farnham.

She was admitted to Poplar 10th October 1895 - note only says "From Farnham Union" (next page over)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSRG-T6W6?i=32&cat=1408154
She left Dec 21, 1895, not specified where to on this record.

Often, workhouse records are not specific about the situation. She was possibly in Farnham working or looking for work.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carbar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 23 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you. i need to investigate this further.
I appreciate your help