Author Topic: Emily Nelson  (Read 531 times)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Nelson
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 June 23 11:28 BST (UK) »
Kiltglassin.  Sorry if I’ve got your identity wrong.  End of day.   Thanks for that. I have all that info.  But always ready to accept more.  Appreciate your help.   Dalek

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 June 23 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks  for all that.  You are a marvel at what you find.  I had the details on birth and marriage of Emily Nelson. First marriage to John Taylor. Then widowed. Remarried a William Bassett in Dublin. So I take it she must have moved to Dublin after John Taylor died.  She died in Dublin in (not sure) 1908.  That I have to check.    Thanks anyway.  As I said you areva marvel at your information.  Dalek. 
Please go back and re-read what has already been posted. Emily Nelson gave a Dublin address when she married John Taylor (see marriage registration) and died in 1904 (see death registration).
The biggest link, at the moment, between Emily and Belfast is the fact that she is listed as born County Antrim in 1901 census (link to this also posted above).

Where I’m having difficulty is my Janes was a convict.  Not a bad man.  Just took a shot at his superior officer in the army and was sentenced to 10 years transportation to Western Australia  in 1861.   Now being a convict all his records of birth etc were expunged so there is no way of finding out his family roots.
Records of his birth were not destroyed because he was a convict. Civil registration of births didn't start until 1864. Not all church records from this period survive and of those that do not all are online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 June 23 11:34 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey.   I received records of James Nelson’s original convict papers from the British archives which stated his DOB and NOK were expunged because he was a convict.  That was part of the punishment I was told.  I have all his papers re his conviction  transportation. Imprisonment etc.  the part where it stated NOK was blank. Re the explanation why.  Dalek

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 June 23 11:35 BST (UK) »
The only reason I know his fathers details of occupation is it was in James and Mary’s marriage certificate which I have obtained.  Dalek

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 June 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey.   I received records of James Nelson’s original convict papers from the British archives which stated his DOB and NOK were expunged because he was a convict.  That was part of the punishment I was told.  I have all his papers re his conviction  transportation. Imprisonment etc.  the part where it stated NOK was blank. Re the explanation why.  Dalek

That is entirely different from what you said about all birth records being destroyed. Military records are a separate matter and many enlistment records, etc. no longer survive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 June 23 11:43 BST (UK) »
I’m aware that the records of Northern Ireland were destroyed in the rebellion.  But I could only go on what was in the records from the Kew archives.  That convicts had their details of births and families expunged.  I try to take it all in.  But my age does have  its Cognitive problems.  🥴😬.  Dalek

PS.  Aren’t you happy I’m back.  Haha.  🙄

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 June 23 11:47 BST (UK) »
Shanreagh.   Thanks for your information.   Yes they were online.  I have them.  But I was hoping that there may have been other information that I didn’t have.    😁

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 05 June 23 21:08 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey.   I understand you are trying to help me but unfortunately my memory isn’t as good as it used to be. It’s called age  it happens to all of us eventually.  I apologise if I get things wrong at times but at least I try   Patience is a virtue they say.  But I don’t want to test the patience of others.  My apologies mdear.    Dalek

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 September 23 05:55 BST (UK) »
I am so sorry. Yes  I do have all that.   Thank you again.  Very much.    Dale K