Author Topic: Callaghan-South Africa- photo restoration help repost  (Read 1342 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Callaghan-South Africa- photo restoration help repost
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 June 23 07:13 BST (UK) »
Justin, I started having a go at the damaged photo. Unfortunately there's just too much damage and too many types of damage to allow it to be recovered--for me, anyway. I just can't distinguish between damage and detail in most of it. Sorry.

I've posted where I got to as well as a second image enlarging her hand. Sadly, you can't even see a ring.

Peter

Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline JustinVieira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 June 23 16:53 BST (UK) »
Justin, I started having a go at the damaged photo. Unfortunately there's just too much damage and too many types of damage to allow it to be recovered--for me, anyway. I just can't distinguish between damage and detail in most of it. Sorry.

I've posted where I got to as well as a second image enlarging her hand. Sadly, you can't even see a ring.

Peter

Hi Peter
Thank so much for the attempt.
I appreciate it a lot.
I think I subconsciously expected that it was most likely not possible to get anything from this image, however I was very hopeful.

Kindest
J

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 June 23 03:35 BST (UK) »
The one you've asked for dating is 1860's.
Don't assume the child is a girl.

Thank you Jim

I think it is my great-great-great-great-grandfather with his parents
It is such a pity that I will probably never really know

The child bears a resemblance to the one in your other thread called Percy-wedding.....perhaps his (Percy's) father?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=873540.0

Offline JustinVieira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 June 23 08:29 BST (UK) »
The one you've asked for dating is 1860's.
Don't assume the child is a girl.

Thank you Jim

I think it is my great-great-great-great-grandfather with his parents
It is such a pity that I will probably never really know

The child bears a resemblance to the one in your other thread called Percy-wedding.....perhaps his (Percy's) father?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=873540.0

Hi Jim
Yes I also have that feeling
I really have this feeling it is Percy dad - John William.

Trying to see if I can find any other pictures that could lead me to getting me closer to the answer.

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and tell people to write who is who on the back 😂

Offline JustinVieira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 June 23 17:19 BST (UK) »
Can I ask for advice from everyone please

Do you think this old lady is the same as the lady in the photo with the young boy?

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 June 23 22:50 BST (UK) »
I think you could be right. It would need a dating expert to confirm it, but say 30-35 years later? (Jim has dated the earlier one to the 1860s.)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 15 June 23 23:04 BST (UK) »
I agree with Peter, the group photo was taken in the early 1890s so the dates fit.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline JustinVieira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 June 23 09:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone
I also had this feeling this could be the same lady
The head piece seems something very specific
And the hair line as well as the downturned corner of the lips looks very similar in both images, not sure what everyone thinks about that as well

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 June 23 15:30 BST (UK) »
A restore of Mabel for you.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU