Author Topic: Getting a copy of a death Certificate for Cohoes NY  (Read 860 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Getting a copy of a death Certificate for Cohoes NY
« on: Tuesday 06 June 23 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have recently discovered that my Ggg grandmother Maria Cumberland formerly Magee nee Hobson died 9 feb 1924 in Cohoes N.Y.
I’m in the UK and have had massive difficulty trying to obtain a copy of her death certificate.
After a lot of being pushed from pillar to post, I managed to find the county clerk for Cohoes who said I had to post a money order over to US to their office.
Surely in this day and age there is a quicker, more secure way to obtain a copy?
Can anyone help or give advice?
Many thanks in advance.
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a copy of a death Certificate for Cohoes NY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 17:32 BST (UK) »
I suspect that's the fastest and cheapest option.  Vitalchek has ordering by credit card, but I believe they will only order from New York state, and the wait time from the state is currently 3+ years.  Wait times for ordering at the local level are usually a couple months at most.  Vitalchek also charges more than twice what the certificate would otherwise cost.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 19:15 BST (UK) »
I had a peep at the NY newspapers for a possible obit/death notice for Maria. Drew a blank but found a lengthy report of the death of Harold W Jewett in the Troy Times, 13 Nov 1919. It mentions Maria Cumberland, grandmother (amongst others). They are together on the 1910 Census.

Are you familiar with Fulton newspapers?

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:12 BST (UK) »
I had a peep at the NY newspapers for a possible obit/death notice for Maria. Drew a blank but found a lengthy report of the death of Harold W Jewett in the Troy Times, 13 Nov 1919. It mentions Maria Cumberland, grandmother (amongst others). They are together on the 1910 Census.

Thank you so much for that!
No, I haven’t heard of those papers.
Would there be any mention of her daughters wedding perhaps? She was Caroline McGee but also known by her mother’s name Hobson. She married George Jewett I believe?
Thanks so much
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:13 BST (UK) »
I suspect that's the fastest and cheapest option.  Vitalchek has ordering by credit card, but I believe they will only order from New York state, and the wait time from the state is currently 3+ years.  Wait times for ordering at the local level are usually a couple months at most.  Vitalchek also charges more than twice what the certificate would otherwise cost.
I feared as much! Thanks anyway!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 11:01 BST (UK) »

Death Announcement Caroline Jewett

The Times Record
Troy, New York 
Thu, 30 Dec 1943 Page 9

You may already have seen this on find a grave, seems a comprehensive family history on there

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-times-record/125995429/

FIND A GRAVE

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01scx/

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 11:08 BST (UK) »

Death Announcement Caroline Jewett

The Times Record
Troy, New York 
Thu, 30 Dec 1943 Page 9

You may already have seen this on find a grave, seems a comprehensive family history on there

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-times-record/125995429/

FIND A GRAVE

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01scx/

Sandra
That is great thank you very much.
Is there anything mentioning Maria Cumberland at all, her mother?
Thanks for your help

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 16:47 BST (UK) »

Would there be any mention of her daughters wedding perhaps? She was Caroline McGee but also known by her mother’s name Hobson. She married George Jewett I believe?
Thanks so much

The New York marriage index has a marriage for George Jewett & Caroline Hobson in Cohoes on 24 Dec. 1885.

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 18:54 BST (UK) »

Thanks so much

The New York marriage index has a marriage for George Jewett & Caroline Hobson in Cohoes on 24 Dec. 1885.
I suppose it’s the same way of getting a marriage cert as a death cert? Money order mailed to the county clerk?
Many thanks