Author Topic: Peter (Petrus) Smyth & Thomas Smyth (Woodbridge)  (Read 456 times)

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Peter (Petrus) Smyth & Thomas Smyth (Woodbridge)
« on: Tuesday 06 June 23 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is a bit of a tricky one, commonish names, and a long time ago.  :(

I'm looking for any info on a chap called Peter (Petrus) Smyth from Woodbridge.  He died somewhere around 1708, and his lands were passed on to his son Thomas.

Also useful, would be a death date for the said Thomas Smyth (who I assume) also lived and died in Woodbridge.

I have a tiny snippet of a Will of Peter Smyth from a Manorial Court Book and would be interested in knowing where the full Will might be held (if it still exists).

Any help would be great!!!

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter (Petrus) Smyth & Thomas Smyth (Woodbridge)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 09:31 BST (UK) »
Peter Smith died 15 October 1708 and was buired 17 October 1708 in the Society of Friends burial ground in Woodbridge.

Peter Smith, a Miller, married Susan Seamon in Woodbridge in 1679 - a Society of Friends marriage.

I can only find one child baptised to them - a daughter Susanna in Woodbridge 3 April 1682 - again a Society of Friends ceremony.

Suan Smith, wife of Peter, died 21 May 1708 and was buried in the Society of Friends burial ground in Woodbridge 24 May 1708.

Image of the original entries available on FindMyPast
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 09:36 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say no sign of Thomas' baptism, nor can I pinpoint a marriage - there are several nonconformist ones in Woodbridge.

A Possible death 16 May 1742 with a burial in the Society of Friends burial ground, Woodbridge 20 May 1742.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to both of you.

Seamon (seaman) seems very plausible.  I'll look into this further.

Thomas was described as Peter's son, but may be he just wasn't baptised.  I think somethimes this was done quite late in life, and may be he just did not want to follow his parents branch of faith?

Mascull is interesting.  Its a name I've not seen before (sounds French?).  I'll look into it further.

Thanks again!

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:43 BST (UK) »
looks like good news - BUT - not all trees are correct - and a date for the marriage
Elizabeth Mascull
Born in 1690 - London
Deceased

Spouses and children
Married 10 August 1709, Woodbridge, Suffolk, to  Thomas Smyth 1680- with
F  Sarah Smith 1710-1781

tree owner is a male - P.J.Bell
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
To answer your Thomas Smyth question - born and died in Woodbridge

daughter Sarah was born in 1710 in Smallburgh,Norfolk - so at sometime had left Suffolk - but did he go back there ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:50 BST (UK) »
HMM   another tree has Thomas born 11th December 1673 in Celmondiston,Suffolk
added
17 miles from Woodbridge

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 11:25 BST (UK) »
Both Peter & Thomas were millers in Woodbridge, but I suppose Thomas could have had a mill beyond Woodbridge until his father died?

Also it could have been Elizabeth Mascull that went to Norfolk for the birth of the child, with Thomas staying in Woodbridge (maybe)?

Windy