Author Topic: Finders International  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finders International
« on: Tuesday 06 June 23 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
My brother has just received a letter from the above people regarding tracing missing beneficiaries.
My initial thoughts were that it was a scam but I see that Finders International is a legitimate
concern.
Has anyone had any dealings with them? Why haven't I (or my other brother) received the letter - or is it held up with snail mail?
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finders International
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 22:27 BST (UK) »
Why haven't I (or my other brother) received the letter?
Perhaps they haven't found you yet :)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 22:52 BST (UK) »
They are one of the companies featured in all the BBC Heir Hunters series.

They may have yet to locate you and your other brother.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Wellington66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
I was contacted by Finders back in May of 2014.  I wasn't given any information at that point apart from being told they had been instructed by a firm of solicitors to try and trace relatives.  I was asked to sign an agreement for their commission.  I cannot remember exactly but I think it was February 15 when I eventually received a payment from my late distant cousins estate.  This came from the solicitors involved.  Not a life changing amount i hasten to add but very nice to receive none the less.  I asked Finders for a family tree which I did receive.  The solicitors also sent me a balance sheet naming everyone who inherited. Great for family history research.
I must be a lucky person because several years previously I had a similar experience with a different firm of heir hunters.
Hope this helps.
Welly x
CLARKE  Wm Lowestoft Sfk/Gt.Yarmouth Nfk
GOODING Ann Barnby/Beccles Sfk

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 09:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your responses.
As our parents had been mentioned in the letter, I was thinking that this might apply to all 3 of us.
Yes, Welly that did help. I have been racking my brain to think who, what, when and why. Not that any of our ancestors was well off.
Just have to wait for developments.
Regards Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline Wellington66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 09:47 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Jackie,
I also couldn't think who my relative might be.  As it turned out I did know of her and had researched that particular branch of the family.  She was a distant cousin who never married.  I hope you have a nice surprise eventually!  Welly x
CLARKE  Wm Lowestoft Sfk/Gt.Yarmouth Nfk
GOODING Ann Barnby/Beccles Sfk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:58 BST (UK) »
I had a letter from a different firm of HHs a few years ago. My brother got a similar letter but a couple of weeks earlier - reason for the delay, they used the most recent address for me that they could find from electoral register which I moved from in 2003 and then chose not to be listed on the public ER. So my letter was forwarded by the people who bought our old house.
The supposed deceased relative was on my father's side of the family, but he having been deceased for several years at the time did not get a letter, but his sister (my aunt) who had died four months previously did get a letter. This was forwarded from her former care home to her son (her executor and my first cousin).
The tree which I received from the HH did not include this cousin, but did include his two siblings. The reason being that his two siblings were born in England but he was born abroad (his father was in the RAF at the time).
So as to who gets the letter depends on how thorough the HH is and where and how up to date their information.
The deceased "relative " was not ours - just happened to have the same name and year of birth and lived in same county as my father's first cousin.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 22:40 BST (UK) »
It does get rather complicated doesn't it?
Our surname is one of the lesser common ones but I do know of at least one other individual of the same name to each of us three so it is quite possible that we are not eligible.
Interesting scenario though.
Thanks again
Jackie

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 June 23 03:37 BST (UK) »
Well, it appears that it is relevant to our family; being a cousin of our mother.
From their follow up letter, they know of me but not our other brother; cousins were not mentioned.
They must have quite a task as I know the lady in question had 8 brothers and sisters; most of whom married but several did not have any children.
I have been given the job of providing family information.
Jackie