Author Topic: Kent Will 1697  (Read 699 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Re: Kent Will 1697
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 March 24 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, buttons,

Locating the Wills on the microfilms can be a bit of a daunting task so here's a few helping aids.

From your information I can see that the court is Archdeaconry - PRC17 - this is the group of registered Wills.

The next numbers are the volume number - 79.

The third numbers are the folio numbers - 123b. 

The link you are going to need to get to the Archdeaconry registered Wills volume 79 is
https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/007905015?cat=232273
This covers the years 1696-1701.  Once you log in at your Family History Centre and sign on to FamilySearch the above link will take you to the group of Wills.  To find the image look at the upper left corner of the screen and you will see a navigation tools that shows how many images are on the film.  Even though your Will says its on folio 123b, that won't correspond to what image number it is on the film.  Wills are arranged in chronological order and if it were me looking for folio 123b I would go to image 123 and check the folio number on that page.  Doing the math for the difference between the image number and the folio number will get you closer to the folio you need, quicker.  Then once you find folio 123 you will likely have quite a few pages to go through one-by-one until you find the 123b.  123a will appear before 123b and each of these a and b can take more than one page.

For future use the links to the entire list of Archdeaconry registered Will volumes is
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/232273?availability=Family%20History%20Library

The PRC16 reference is to the original Will before it was proved at Court.  Sometimes there can be great differences in bequests between the original Will and the proved Will.  If you wanted to locate the original Will, that is in an entirely different area on FamilySearch.

Here's the link you need to access the original Wills - PRC16 - and the inventory that you refer to as PRC11 - these are the original inventories - the ones proved at Court are in a different place on FamilySearch:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1949814
You have to click on "Browse all images" and then on the next window click on "Kent, Archdeaconry of Canterbury" and click on "Inventories" and then click on the year you need. Registered inventories were only filmed up to 1643 so most inventories are in this other area of FamilySearch.  Sometimes you can find Inventories in the PRC10 category in this section.  Otherwise, those haven't been microfilmed.

The same dual system applies to Consistory Court Wills and Inventories.  Registered Consistory Wills are PRC32 and original Consistory Wills are PRC31.

I hope this helps to cut through the confusion over the Wills.  The volunteers at your centre may or may not know the procedure as they are not required to have any knowledge of research or genealogy.

Have fun at your centre!
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline ~buttons~

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 April 24 00:46 BST (UK) »
Gosh, what a wonderfully detailed explanation and set of instructions.

That will make life a whole lot easier when I have a chance to visit a FH centre

I'm sure anyone else reading this thread will also find these notes to be of invaluable assistance

Thank you very much Zacktyr

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 05:39 BST (UK) »
I have also had success viewing Wills from FamilySearch at a FamilySearch Affiliate Library (FSAL). Often FSALs are more accessible than FamilySearch Centres.

The wills on Familysearch are, alas. only available from one of their family history centres (as I understand it). This is due to copyright problems.

<SNIP>
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake