Author Topic: Christ Church/Preston Cemetery - query  (Read 222 times)

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christ Church/Preston Cemetery - query
« on: Wednesday 07 June 23 09:30 BST (UK) »
As an example...

My relative appears in a list of burials for Christ Church, North Shields in 1863.

But Preston cemetery was opened in 1856.

So is it possible that my relative was buried at Preston Cemetery, and that he appears under 'Christ Church' because (for example) a service was held there?

I have many relatives who died in North Shields after Preston Cemetery opened, but who appear in records for Christ Church.

I realise I have made an assumption that Christ Church meant Christ Church!

I am wondering if I have made a beginner's blunder and I need to revisit my records and check them against Preston Cemetery?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christ Church/Preston Cemetery - query
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 09:47 BST (UK) »
No, if your ancestor is in the register for Christ Church then it will be most likely that will be where burial was and not at Preston Cemetery.
People around that time who lived and died in the North Shields area can usually be found interred in either Preston Cemetery, Tynemouth General Cemetery or Christ Church.  There is a burial Chapel in the grounds of Preston Cemetery.

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1017/local-studies-and-information
North Shields local studies in the library holds burial volumes and registers for both Preston Cemetery and also Tynemouth General Cemetery.  They also have a memorial inscription volume for Christ Church.
The burial records for Christ Church will be available at Tyne and Wear Archives in Newcastle.

I know someone whose ancestors were all buried at Preston Cemetery with the exception of one who was buried at Christ Church.  Perhaps it was just down to choice or where deceased person had attended Church?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:00 BST (UK) »
No, if your ancestor is in the register for Christ Church then it will be most likely that will be where burial was and not at Preston Cemetery.
People around that time who lived and died in the North Shields area can usually be found interred in either Preston Cemetery, Tynemouth General Cemetery or Christ Church.  North Shields local studies in the library holds burial volumes and registers for both Preston Cemetery and also Tynemouth General Cemetery.  They also have a memorial inscription volume for Christ Church.
The burial records for Christ Church will be available at Tyne and Wear Archives in Newcastle.

Many thanks for the prompt reply with that very useful information!

The reason I started 'doubting' was when I found a burial record for a relative under Holy Trinity Church.

As far as I know, Holy Trinity was in Collingwood Street and in the middle of an area of housing, so I assumed she could not be buried there as it didn't sound like it had a graveyard.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:24 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Sandra.  I know what you mean as I once wondered about Holy Trinity myself. But I suspect people from these registers will most likely be buried elsewhere as mentioned in North Shields.
Most of the memorials at Christ Church have now gone.  I do not know if this was due to a general clearance or because of local bombing during the war. But at least there is a volume of inscriptions recording what once existed.
No memorials now exist at Tynemouth General Cemetery.
Sometimes researchers get this confused with Preston Cemetery but these are separate places.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:53 BST (UK) »
As RTL says, if your ancestor is listed in the burial records for Christ Church then they will be buried there, especially as this was an Anglican Church - though most RC churches recorded funerals and the person may well have been buried elsewhere, the RC funeral record usually says where.
Even if there was a civil cemetery nearby, burials continued in churchyards providing they had room.

The following sites are well worth bookmarking as they show date ranges for parish registers held by the venue and show if they are microfilm, original registers or transcripts.

North Shields Local Studies
Listed as Christ Church North Shields - have transcriptions 1870-1975 , plus MIs

Tyne and Wear Archives
https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information
Listed as Tynemouth Christ Church, microfilm of burial registers 1607-1924

Northumberland Archives
https://www.northumberlandarchives.com/services/leaflets/
Listed as Tynemouth Christ Church, original burial registers 1607-1979

Boo

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 10:56 BST (UK) »
You are welcome Sandra.  I know what you mean as I once wondered about Holy Trinity myself. But I suspect people from these registers will most likely be buried elsewhere as mentioned in North Shields.
Most of the memorials at Christ Church have now gone.  I do not know if this was due to a general clearance or because of local bombing during the war. But at least there is a volume of inscriptions recording what once existed.
No memorials now exist at Tynemouth General Cemetery.
Sometimes researchers get this confused with Preston Cemetery but these are separate places.

Yes I walked past the remains of Tynemouth General Cemetery recently - the gate posts are still in place. I grew up in North Shields and never realised that space used to be a Cemetery.

Slightly off-topic... there is a really interesting article, based on research relating to Tynemouth General Cemetery, about socio-economic inequalities based on the depths of graves.

https://europepmc.org/article/MED/11077898

By the way - thanks again for your help a while back with the Fishers. I spent an enlightening day at North Shields Local Studies recently and even managed not to break the microfiche! I'm planning another visit soon as I have so much to look up.

While I was there found an amusing article about one of my Fisher relatives. His wife took him to Court for desertion, and in response he claimed she was hopeless at housework, couldn't cook and didn't do the dishes. He took all the furniture and went back to his mother's. But they must have reconciled because they went on to have at least 5 more children!

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 June 23 11:32 BST (UK) »
As RTL says, if your ancestor is listed in the burial records for Christ Church then they will be buried there, especially as this was an Anglican Church - though most RC churches recorded funerals and the person may well have been buried elsewhere, the RC funeral record usually says where.
Even if there was a civil cemetery nearby, burials continued in churchyards providing they had room.

The following sites are well worth bookmarking as they show date ranges for parish registers held by the venue and show if they are microfilm, original registers or transcripts.

North Shields Local Studies
Listed as Christ Church North Shields - have transcriptions 1870-1975 , plus MIs

Tyne and Wear Archives
https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information
Listed as Tynemouth Christ Church, microfilm of burial registers 1607-1924

Northumberland Archives
https://www.northumberlandarchives.com/services/leaflets/
Listed as Tynemouth Christ Church, original burial registers 1607-1979

Boo

Thank you very much for those links.  ;)