Author Topic: John Holland marriage to Sarah Beans 1810 Portsmouth - Royal Marines?  (Read 447 times)

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Holland marriage to Sarah Beans 1810 Portsmouth - Royal Marines?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 June 23 13:47 BST (UK) »
The only other marriage & Birth that may be a match is John Holland & Elizabeth Hicks married at St Thomas Portsmouth 14 Feb.1813 and then a birth of an Elizabeth Holland in Alverstoke, 31 Oct 1816 to Elizabeth Holland....again, no father is mentioned.
My Elizabeth emigrated to Australia in 1852 with husband Charles Sheppeard and they named their first daughter Elizabeth, maybe after her mother.
I was thinking her mother's name was Sarah because of the witness on her 2nd marriage, but maybe it was a sister or cousin?
Is there a way to get more details about the Holland/Hicks marriage of 1813?
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 June 23 14:11 BST (UK) »

John Holland, bachelor, of HMS Bellerophon, and Elizabeth Hicks, widow, 14th January 1813
they both signed
witnesses Stephen Hatch(?) and James Clapcoat (mark)

HMS Bellerophon was at Trafalgar in 1805, and was also where Napoleon formally surrendered to the British after Waterloo.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline rdarby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 June 23 02:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alan,
that's interesting, especially if these were my ancestors!
 It seems that there was more than one John Holland  in the Portsmouth area, so it's going to be hard to prove which one is 'mine'.
As I am only seeing what is available on Ancestry, I can't see any of these details.
The birth for Elizabeth Holland in Alverstoke (which I can see is not far from Portsmouth, if its not actually part of it) on 31 Oct 1816 only reveals the name of the mother (also Elizabeth Holland) but not the father. If the father was John Holland he could be the same John Holland as married Elizabeth Hicks in 1813.
I guess it's also possible that Sarah Beans died and Elizabeth Hicks was his second marriage.
So many possibilties!
Darbys from Deal area, Allans Aberdeenshire/Banffshire, Ogles  Northumberland, McKenzies and Burgess  Kirkudbright/Dumfries, Campbells  Sutherlandshire, Malcolms Kincardine,Sheppeards Suffolk