Author Topic: Fitters Wages  (Read 309 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fitters Wages
« on: Thursday 08 June 23 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know how much a mill machinery fitter was paid in the 1890s?
I was told great grandad earned good money but wouldn't buy a new pipe, he cut his tongue on a broken clay pipe which caused his cancer.
I just received a will of a mechanic 1903 and he owned 5 cottages and shares in several mills and had loans to companies. Don't think mine had anything like that and he didn't leave a will but has made me think. Thank you
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
Re: Fitters Wages
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 23 10:28 BST (UK) »
I had 3 ancestors who's occupations were variously described as Mechanic/Mill Fitter/Millwright in the latter half of 19 c. I would imagine they all fall into the same category and all 3 seemed to have had a "comfortable" life.

One left a modest Will and on one Census had a Servant/Housekeeper. Another had a piano. It must have cost a few bob as it was of very good quality. I know it was purchased in 1890 something..I came across the receipt some years back and it was still going strong in the early 1970's.

Someone I spoke to a few years back reckoned they would have been classed as skilled workers and probably earned  around 500/600 a week in todays money.

I suppose without these people, the Mills wouldn't have worked or been built. But don't quote me on any of this.

Regards, Eric.
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  
 Lees:Prestwich/Manchester, Wild : Manchester/Salford,
Davies/Williams :Ruabon/Wrexham
Peace: Burton on Trent

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 23 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eric,
                     Someone told me just recently they were on about £4 a week and could get 8 if they were prepared to go to places like Russia. So I thought great grandma was penniless when he died but maybe not?
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 23 11:36 BST (UK) »
That would fit. Checked one site which says £4 in 1890 would be worth about 650 today, give or take a 100

Eric
Jones:Middleton, Howarth:Manchester, Dean:Ardwick/Manchester, Harvey:Nth Manchester & Elland/West Yorks,  Tattersall:Manchester/Salford/Burnley,  

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 23 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hard to believe the value of money at that time. Thanks

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
Wages would to some extent depend upon what part of the country and also the industry employing the fitter/tradesman..
In the following, page 142 is most relevant.;

https://ia601602.us.archive.org/4/items/wagesinunitedkin00bowl/wagesinunitedkin00bowl.pdf

.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline ele002

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Under Age Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 June 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
I dont think we will ever know how much some of our ancestors earned unless we find some documented evidence. Too many variables, even their actual job title. Census and Parish records are sometimes too vague or show the occupation in general terms.

The book looks a good read for when I'm at a very loose end.

Thanks, Eric

Offline selwynfroggitt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 June 23 18:45 BST (UK) »
I think that the wages 1890 would be around £1 per week. I started in a mill in Oldham  in 1956 and the wages were between £5 10s  and £7 10 shillings  for skilled engineers. However if your grandfather like me was born in Yorkshire... why throw away a pipe that still works.. even though they were cheap and disposable.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 June 23 19:11 BST (UK) »
That sounds fair, I have some wage slips from 1933 a mine bye worker on ten bob a shift.
Also one of my dad's from 1966 £17 on the coal face