Author Topic: looking for info on a Daniel McCarthy, son of Timothy  (Read 147 times)

Offline mimmersC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for info on a Daniel McCarthy, son of Timothy
« on: Friday 09 June 23 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hello I am looking for birth information of a Daniel McCarthy (born about 1836), Irish, son of a Timothy McCarthy, Irish, (both were tinsmiths, or tin plate workers) who married a MaryAnn Moran, Irish, daughter of a Patrick Moran (soldier), Irish.  Daniel and MaryAnn were married in Liverpool Feb 1854, and had a daughter there, MaryAnn, then emigrated to Jersey City, New Jersey in 1857-1860-ish and raised the rest of their family in New Jersey.  I am descended from that line and would like to locate Daniel/Timothy's home in Ireland for an upcoming visit.  Help!

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: looking for info on a Daniel McCarthy, son of Timothy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 23 15:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

Have you got Daniel's death certificate? I don't have a lot of experience with U.S. genealogical documentation, but I believe some have the parents of the deceased listed?

It would also be a good idea to try and pinpoint the county of Ireland from which Daniel emigrated, as some have better coverage and record availability than others. Have you tried DNA? Not sure how many generations removed you are from Daniel, so it may not show up anything obvious.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 June 23 15:48 BST (UK) »
Any luck with census records before he married?  What was his place of residence at time of marriage?

Might only say Ireland rather then a specific place but you never know.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 June 23 15:54 BST (UK) »
A family tree has a baptism for him 9 Mar 1834 in Dunmanway Cork Ireland - father Timothy mother Mary.

The marriage in 1854 says he was a minor which infers under 21 so a birth year of 1834 would fit.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline mimmersC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 June 23 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks all who responded to request.  I am new to this rootschat and don't know exactly how to answer each response.  The earliest information of Daniel McCarthy and his wife I have located was their Marriage information in Liverpool England.  I discovered this connection by researching backward from their children, a son Patrick, was my Grandfather John Joseph McCarthy's father.  I discovered on his marriage information from Jersey City to his wife, one Maria Gavin, that the church had their parents names listed, Daniel McCarthy and Mary Ann Moran and a Patt Gavin and Honorah Higgins.  Quickly, I was able to follow the Patt Gavin/Honorah Higgins line back to county Mayo, in Ballina, Ireland,  however I had to take to the internet search engines and found a link to St Peters(now defunct) RC church in Liverpool with the Daniel McCarthy/MaryAnn Moran connection.  On that information I discovered that both Daniel and his father were listed as Tinplate workers and the earliest census in Jersey City I could find had that as Daniel occupation, and the names and dates matched up.  Also on the marriage info from St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (now defunct), 28 Feb 1854, was an address of Fontenoy St,  for both Danl./MaryAnn and witnesses were listed as Patrick Moran and a Bridget Moran.  Father of MaryAnn Moran was a Patrick Moran who was listed as soldier. And that's as far back as I get with placing Daniel and MaryAnn back into their homes in Ireland. I cannot place Daniels death certificate or when and where he died as much as I've tried.  Ive done DNA and am fumbling through that as well trying to pin point county in Ireland he maybe from...My Dna shows a connection to Connaught, Ireland, which would make sense to that Maria Gavin connection.  Anyway, Thanks to all who helped out! Mimi