Author Topic: Paul Eugene Fer court case  (Read 438 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Eugene Fer court case
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 June 23 09:45 BST (UK) »
thank you everyone - yes, I saw the passenger list and thought that Eileen Margot Fer (married name Van Der Linden) may have been going to South Africa to show her 4 month baby to relatives. However I could not find Paul Fer in South Africa.

I did see that wife Margaret Maud was calling herself a widow - but at present I am unsure she really knows Paul is dead, or is just speculating that he is.

Paul and Margaret (Maggie) had three children - Rene Eugene. Yvonne Marguerite and Eileen, who was a baby of one month in 1921.

I do find it unusual that there is a complete silence in the newspapers of this incident, particularly as Paul was an otherwise unremarkable middle class man, employing servants, and with a reasonably lucrative business.
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 June 23 09:56 BST (UK) »
Found something with the search term "Old Basing"
05 March 1921; Reading Observer
appended to a report on a cricket match:

I am sorry to have to record the death of Old Basing's captain, Mr W. H. Poole, who was knocked down and killed by a motor-car on Saturday evening. The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon at Old Basing church.

added: Paul Fer was acquitted of manslaughter not murder
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 June 23 10:05 BST (UK) »
from the same issue of the Reading Observer:

ODDS AND ENDS.
While cycling last Saturday near Basingstoke, Mr. W. H. Poole, captain of the Old Basing F. C., and a well-known figure in local sporting circles, was run over by a motor-car, and subsequently died in the Cottage Hospital, Basingstoke. A verdict of "manslaughter" was returned at the inquest against the owner of the car, Mr. Fer, of Mapledurwell.

added: this is the BNA OCR of the article, it illustrates what a lottery newspaper searches can be
ODDS AND ENDS. While cycling last Saturday near Basingstoke, Mr. H. Poole, captain of the Old Basing F.C., and a watt-known Spire in local sporting circles, w run over by a motorcar, and subsequently died in Botwell Miasion ate ping well in the C.W.s.. the Cottage Hospital, Baiingstoke. A verdict of League, and have some capab:is players. Oiia of • malsiaughter " was returned at the inquest them. Ramsey, has appeared in tL co:ours of limingt the owner of the car, Mr. Fer, of Maple- I Qoeen : s Park Rangers. derwaia.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 June 23 10:21 BST (UK) »
Does your friend know what happened to Eileen Fer after her marriage to Dirk.

John

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 June 23 10:23 BST (UK) »
thats great - and I did wonder about a car acciedent, however the court mention noted Kill and slay - harsh words for what was most probably an accident.

Many thanks for your inovative searching - it is a bit of a lottery, and I am so glad you found the answer!

Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.