Author Topic: Beginner and deciding on genealogy software  (Read 844 times)

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beginner and deciding on genealogy software
« on: Saturday 10 June 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
Good morning,  I started looking at my family tree about 4 mnths ago and recently joined the Guild on One name studies. 
About 3 months ago i purchased Brothers keeper for storing the information on my family tree and other trees i am looking at and find it very helpful and easy to use.
Now The Guild are suggesting i get a genealogy software package to record and store my one name study,  They suggest Family Historian, Legacy and Roots Magic.  Are these the same product as Brothers keeper?  If not can anyone advise which one is the best to choose.   Many thanks  John
Languages

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner and deciding on genealogy software
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 23 12:57 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately you will find that there are as many differing opinions on the "best" software as there are programs.
The programs you have mentioned have differences in the way they operate and it may be best if you try them out beforehand. Family Historian (my recommendation) is used by a number of One Named Studiers and the fulll program is available as a 30 day trial for free.
However that said it may be of some benefit to try the others to see which suits you personally (its better to get a program to work the way you want to work than having to change your systems to suit a piece of software)

https://fhug.org.uk/  Family Historian Users Group
https://www.family-historian.co.uk/   FH home page (download availablel via links)

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 June 23 13:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks RJ its just that I have already paid for Brother s keeper and put a fair amount of information in it.  If I went for Family Historian, which i was leaning towards could i transfer all my information from Brothers Kepper in a "oner"?  Kind regards  John
Languages

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 June 23 17:25 BST (UK) »
I have been using Brothers Keeper for about twenty years. I like it's simplicity. I would just say that if you are doing your own family tree as well as a one name study do keep them in separate sets of data. I didn't, and splitting the database later, as I wanted, was a bit trying. (Your descendants will probably be in both datafiles but that shouldn't be enough individuals to be a problem.)

Yes, you can shift the entire content of one program into another when you are ready. All the major family history programs, including Brother's Keeper and those you mention above, use 'gedcom' to transfer all or part of the database between programs. There are sometimes minor inconsistencies but it mostly works quite smoothly.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 June 23 17:28 BST (UK) »
Family Historian is based upon the gedcom format which many programs use to transfer information.
and exporting your information in this format from Brothers Keeper should enable you to start a new project on FH.

A lot depends on what you intend to do with your research - if its purely personal research (ie your own family) the Brothers keeper may be all you need but as you mentioned the Guild of One Name Studies this may mean that you need a more database driven program such as FH
I would suggest trying the Free trial and having a look at the user Group Forum where there is quite a bit of advice about using FH for One name Studies

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 June 23 17:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks will sign up for free trial tomorrow.  John
Languages

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 September 23 14:02 BST (UK) »
May I put in a vote for Family Historian. I’ve been using it for 20plus years and I’m still finding useful features! I have a very large and complex family on it and although it needs work and perseverance to get to grips with it, that pays dividends in the long run. There is also a very healthy support forum with masses of help.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 September 23 19:15 BST (UK) »
Whatever software you decide on, ensure that it can cope with different names for the same person.

Lots of US companies don't think that a person can change their name.

In an ONS, changes of name are commonplace. Recording the date when the name was written as "Lee" rather than "Leigh" can help your research further down the line.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 September 23 19:21 BST (UK) »
I've been using RootsMagic for some time.
They have a free "cut-down" version -RootsMagic Essentials.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)