Author Topic: Beginner and deciding on genealogy software  (Read 847 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner and deciding on genealogy software
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 September 23 01:19 BST (UK) »
A word of warning. Whichever software you end up choosing, stick with it.

While GEDCOM is designed to transfer family trees between different software programs, not one of those programs is 100% GEDCOM compliant. This means that, in transferring data, you would probably lose some of that valuable data, the amount depending on how compliant are the programs you're moving from and to.

The first of a series of 20 articles--a little dated now but still invaluable--on this complicated subject can be accessed here https://genealogytools.com/replacing-family-tree-maker-part-1-how-to-scrub-your-data/

So, bottom line, choose carefully then stick with it.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 September 23 09:27 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the input.  I finished up with Ancestry and FTM and make sure that both files are  compatible each time i visit.  Ploppy
Languages

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 September 23 11:25 BST (UK) »
I've been using FTM for 15 years. If you ever need any help just post on here and someone (possibly me) will be able to help.

Unfortunately there is no longer a FTM user group or forum as far as I know. Except on facebook - which I don't use.

Martin

Offline Ploppy123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 September 23 12:57 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon Martin,  thanks very much for the advice and offer.  Luckily I have a mentor who runs the "Cornwell project"  who is a an absolute life saver.  As this is my first year
Languages

Online locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 September 23 08:23 BST (UK) »

While GEDCOM is designed to transfer family trees between different software programs, not one of those programs is 100% GEDCOM compliant.

Although Family Historian 7 is designed and implemented as 100% GEDCOM compliant and stores it's data as such.

Simon