Author Topic: Asylum at Heavitree, Exeter.  (Read 646 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Asylum at Heavitree, Exeter.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 July 23 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi.

After further investigation to Thomas Jones, died 6th February 1906 we are now in possession of his medical records.
He had been sent to Exeter Lunatic Asylum by the doctor he saw in Cardiff. Thomas was diagnosed with General Paralysis and because there was no-one in the family who wanted to look after him this was the only alternative.
It would seem that the Asylum was known as Digby House Asylum because it had been built on Digby Farm. It is not known why Heavitree Asylum was written on Thomas’s death certificate.

Yes we've looked up General Paralysis for the period and yes it is a result of syphilis but obviously not medically diagnosed then. His condition would have got considerably worse from first diagnosis.

It states on Thomas’s admission form that his religion was “Calvanistic Methodist”.

As I have found no burial for Thomas in Exeter or Cardiff using both city’s Bereavement Services and contacting individual churches as well as scouring ancestry and FindMyPast, is anyone able to tell me if there were there any Calvanistic Methodist Churches around the Heavitree area?

Finding burial records for many of the non-conformist churches is quite rare but if there is a church with a burial ground in the area we may, just may be one step nearer to finding where Thomas was buried.

Many thanks
SNG

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 July 23 15:23 BST (UK) »
I wonder if he’s buried in Higher Cemetery,it’s quite close to Heavitree.It’s very big and unless he has a grave stone ,it may not be possible to find the grave.
Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 July 23 21:48 BST (UK) »
A search has been done on that graveyard Barb.

I am wondering if there were any Calvanistic Methodist Churches in the area that have graveyards.
Often the burial records are still in chapels or elsewhere.

Offline sleepybarb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 July 23 22:49 BST (UK) »
I can’t think of any as Higher cemetery has a mixture of graves.St.Michaels, church,Heavitree has a graveyard. You could try Exeter Past and Present on Facebook ,someone might know.
Barb
Briscoe-Midlands-Birmingham and Worcs.
Bragg-Birmingham.
Rayworth-Birmingham
Piper and Bevan Worcs and Herefordshire
Taylor -Birmingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 July 23 10:01 BST (UK) »
I asked on Facebook first Barb then tried here.
I’ve also contacted Funeral directors who were around in 1906.
Devon Archives in Exeter have been really helpful but sadly no mention of what happened after he died.

It has been suggested that his body was returned to Cardiff for burial. We have found nothing to substantiate this.

I had thought there would have been a burial area within the asylum grounds as with other asylums or mental hospitals as we now call them but it appears that neither Digby or Heavitree did.

It’s another of life’s mysteries.

SNG