Author Topic: Army records from 1940s - any advice appreciated!  (Read 182 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Army records from 1940s - any advice appreciated!
« on: Saturday 10 June 23 20:34 BST (UK) »
Dear all, 

I have been contacted by someone who is looking for information on someone who may or may not be linked to me.  They have no other information other than the person's name, rough year of birth and the fact that they were in the army.

The period of time we are talking about is around 1947 - the time of their marriage - and their son was born the following year.

The gentleman in question (if he is the one in my tree) was born in 1928 and is now deceased.

While I appreciate that a marriage certificate would shed some more light on this, is there any access to military records that are this recent?

Many thanks!
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Army records from 1940s - any advice appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 June 23 20:53 BST (UK) »
Records for that period are still with the MoD

Lots of threads on this topic but here’s one

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Army records from 1940s - any advice appreciated!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 June 23 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  Military records are not an area I'm overly familiar with, so it's a good job there are people like you!  Will take a look at the other threads.
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)