Author Topic: Trawden Hill  (Read 479 times)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trawden Hill
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 June 23 13:03 BST (UK) »
In early censuses, even in urban areas, it isn't unusual for households to be indicated simply by the street or area that they are in – there were no house numbers, especially in small villages because everyone knew who lived where. I think that Trawden Hill was essentially the name of a street.

I've linked below to an OS map from the period in question. Trawden is in the upper left corner of the map. If you find the printed name Trawden you will see that there is a road junction where St Mary's Church is. Looking at various maps, and seeing newspaper references to the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Trawden Hill,  I'm pretty sure that Trawden Hill was the name of the road going north west from that junction (modern name Colne Road). Judging by the modern OS map, it is a moderately steep climb with an average gradient of around 10% for the 500 m to the top of the hill. You can see that the elevation increases along the road on the linked map by observing the benchmarks that are indicated e.g. there is B.M 634.0 as the road crosses the stream near the junction (note these are feet above sea level, not metres). As you go out of Trawden the benchmark elevations increase until you reach one that is 777.7 at the junction where a road forks south west to Prospect House.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102343934
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 June 23 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Alan,

The map is great, it puts it all together.
Thank you

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 June 23 13:06 BST (UK) »
I thought they might have ended up in OZ.

It would explain why Mother is not mentioned on bapt if she was deceased also.

I looked for Jonathan Snr in Census and children to his 1st wife but there are so many possible children if he was in Yorkshire from 1816 on.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 June 23 13:09 BST (UK) »
Trish
It gets too hard with names being common.
But what has been achieved is wonderful.

Thanks for your time.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 June 23 13:28 BST (UK) »
Your welcome :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 June 23 13:38 BST (UK) »
I looked for Betty Dewhurst in 1851 to see if she may be related.

1851 she seems to be Elizabeth Dewhurst born c 1806    Trawden.
Unm, a resident in the Burnley Workhouse.
So no help there ::)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 June 23 08:39 BST (UK) »
Just curious
Did Jonathan take the boys to Australia ?   or the church - they usually sent parentless kids there ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford