Author Topic: DNA close match  (Read 624 times)

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA close match
« on: Sunday 11 June 23 17:39 BST (UK) »
I have a DNA match on Ancestry - we share 389cM.  Ancestry says this is a 1st/2nd cousin match.

I thought this would be a gt-grandmother/father match.  However, we have compared trees and have no matches anywhere so, what do we do now?

Could it be a gt-gt-grandparent match or is that too far back? 

I'm assuming there's an illegitimate birth somewhere but how do we find it?

Wright (West Ham, Stratford, Cripplegate)
Widenstrom (Chicago and Minnesota)
Swain (Cripplegate, St Lukes)
Wolfe (St Giles in the Fields)
Willis (Gt. Leighs; Brentford)
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Collins (Harrow Weald and Wiltshire)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline HistoricalGenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA close match
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 23 04:31 BST (UK) »
If you have a DNA match on Ancestry sharing 389cM and Ancestry categorizes it as a 1st/2nd cousin match, it is possible that the match could be a more distant relative than you initially expected. While 389cM is within the range for a 1st/2nd cousin match, it can also be indicative of other relationships, including great-great-grandparent or even more distant connections.

Since you and your DNA match have compared trees and found no shared ancestors, it can be challenging to determine the exact relationship between you two. However, there are a few steps you can take to further investigate:

Explore shared matches: Look for other DNA matches that both you and your match share. This can help identify potential shared ancestors or branches of your family trees that you haven't discovered yet. Pay close attention to any clusters or groups of matches that appear together, as this may provide clues to common ancestors.

Collaborate with your match: Communicate with your DNA match and exchange information. Share any family stories, geographical connections, or historical details that might help unravel the mystery. Sometimes, one side of the family may be unaware of an unknown adoption, illegitimate birth, or other familial circumstances that could explain the lack of shared ancestors in the trees.

Expand research beyond your immediate tree: While you haven't found any matches in your trees, consider exploring collateral lines, siblings, or extended family members. It's possible that the shared ancestor lies in a different branch or generation.

Use additional DNA testing platforms: If you and your match have only tested on Ancestry, consider uploading your raw DNA data to other platforms like MyHeritage, FamilyTreeDNA, or GedMatch. This can potentially reveal additional matches and help in the search for shared ancestors.

Investigate genetic genealogy tools: Explore tools such as the "Shared Matches" feature on Ancestry or the "One-to-Many" tool on GedMatch. These tools allow you to analyze shared matches more comprehensively, potentially providing insights into common ancestors or specific genetic connections.

Seek professional assistance: If the search becomes challenging or overwhelming, you might consider consulting with a professional genetic genealogist. They have expertise in analyzing DNA results and can help you navigate the complexities of your match's relationship.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 23 10:17 BST (UK) »
I have a 364 cM match hence similar actions.

No response to Messages so I built a tree around them, which is now 700 strong and includes many Shared Matches.

The Leeds Method did not work for me.

Had spoken conversations with first Cousins of the match who are 95 & 124 cM respectively but both are new to family research and my tree of their Cousin includes them and goes back far further than theirs.

Given no MRCA in the 700 person tree most certainly I have a solid brick wall.

Given the sheer numbers of other Shared Matches to my 364 and her Cousins my conclusion is that I have a NPE in my tree which to some degree could be correct as both my Paternal Great Grandfathers have no DNA matches coming from their lines.

Trying to get Paternal Cousins to take a DNA test is not working and I have no contact with Paternal Second Cousins so no joy there.

Good luck

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 June 23 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the advice.  Unfortunately we only share 1 other close match and that's my 1st cousin.  Anyway I have more investigating to do!  Thank you.
Wright (West Ham, Stratford, Cripplegate)
Widenstrom (Chicago and Minnesota)
Swain (Cripplegate, St Lukes)
Wolfe (St Giles in the Fields)
Willis (Gt. Leighs; Brentford)
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Collins (Harrow Weald and Wiltshire)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline pughcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 June 23 11:45 BST (UK) »
Ancestry cousin predictions are fairly general but improved data at the DNA Painter website might be more helpful. If you check the Shared cM Project at DNA Painter and enter 389cM it gives a 73% probability for great-great aunt/uncle, half great aunt/uncle, half great niece/nephew, great-great niece/nephew, half 1C or 1CIR. Check the website for other possibilities.

pughcd
Ingham, Crabtree, Ogden, Horsfield - Yorkshire, Dixon, Park, Spooner - Westmorland, Drinkwater - Lancashire,  Gonsalves, Tressler - Lahore, Pakistan, Oberbremer, Baute, Rieke, Lindemeier, Sewing, Mesterheide, Clauss, Althoff, Wortmann, - North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany, Grolms, Schonscheck, Weiss, Schwartz, Stephan, Weissin -West Prussia

Online melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 June 23 12:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the advice.  Unfortunately we only share 1 other close match and that's my 1st cousin.  Anyway I have more investigating to do!  Thank you.
Well if the 1st cousin is in common, you know which side compared to you it is on. What you can do is ask the person to share their DNA matches with you (and vice versa), and you can then investigate which smaller (below 20cM) matches you have in common. That may assist in working out a common ancestor.

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Sharing-AncestryDNA-Results?language=en_US