Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 18th June  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 18th June
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 June 23 10:33 BST (UK) »
My dear neighbour at my previous house bought us a “ Ruby Wedding “ rose ,but it was a single ,like a deep red briar rose.
In a big container and sadly not able to take it when I moved here.

Much cooler this morning ,woken early ,very early - by a slanging match between big birds ,black with grey heads so Jackdaws, squabbling with Rooks and Wood Pigeons as big as chickens !
The language!!! Phew.
Mine that is —— no they were so raucous !l
It was barely light .

Tidied all the front garden yesterday.Weeded and tidied the dying backSpring stuff , weeded out the odd few Aquilegias self sown in the Cumberland green shale ,also little ferns that have come from nowhere .
Washed the door canopy and door and window frames and sill.
Hosed the green slate path.
Good fun.
Then my tiny little friend came in absolute panic — her fridge was going to blow up!She knew for certain it would ,there was a terrible noise !
Now she is pretty deaf ,so I went round and it was making a noise but I was surprised she could hear it .She thought she had done something wrong by
pressing a switch,which actually is what turns the light off when the door is closed.
However there was no light so the bulb must have”died’’.
She insisted it did not have a light but so poorly sighted she would not really know.It is quite narrow so I held it in both hands and it was vibrating and there was a rattle which disappeared when I moved it slightly, however the outside was very hot.
Inside barely cool ,so I turned it up to maximum and will call this morning to see how it is and if any cooler .
She is a worry ,buys via a shopper for which she pays £40 per two weeks ,that is not what she buys but the shopper’s charge!
She had a pack of six chicken slices ,she freezes them ,thaws, takes one and puts the rest back to re freeze .
On the pack from Aldi it says not suitable for freezing!
I can not convince her she should not do that ,has no understanding of food poisoning etc.And she does not seem to have any ill effects!
We have been through all this a while back. I gave her little bags to freeze individual slices but has nit used them.
Her Bosch washer sits idle as it might blow up, likewise her microwave .
Hand washes at 89!With a daughter not  far away
and  one  just buzzed off to Cumbria .
When the knocking in the water pipes alarmed her she phoned her nearest daughter who has no real contact, her son in law answered the phone and said it was the weather !Not to worry them with trivial things.

Oh dear!
Poor soul ,but I have never known anyone with so little understanding of everyday things .
Could not understand how electricity could make a fridge cold - well her electric fire only gets hot so how  do I explain that!!!
With difficulty !
I am fairly certain her fridge is not getting cold enough ,nothing felt cold in it .
Has just paid £290 to her house contents insurance,a quarterly payment .
Yet will not claim for anything ,says she pays her way and does not like to
owe people for jobs etc ,defunct equipment ,and cannot see she is paying twice .
It is a great tragedy she is left alone as she is . I won’t have anything to do with her money so my help is limited ,her daughters are very untrusting people and rightly so with such a vulnerable person ,but she needs much more help than they give.

Well time has elapsed since my first tablets of the day so a cuppa ,all ready to get dressed to go shopping my son will take me probably if I can’t sneak out!
I must watch “ The Great Escape” again ——

Here is me moaning about being take shopping when I want to go alone and mooch around etc and my tiny friend who needs so much help would be so grateful for such help from her daughters.
Shame on me !But I like to keep walking and active, I feel rushed as he needs to get back to the flipping computers .
 I ought to be more assertive !
Lovely to read your news folks ,hope those we know are not well have some benefit from the good weather .
Cheerio for now.
Second tablets time soon !
With me it is not “ The Bells The Bells”but  “ The Pills The Pills!” .
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 June 23 13:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, "the pills, the pills",  I have just been given a new medication that I should  take between 30 and 60 mins before breakfast, so my mornings will have to change, I am usually up first so I breakfast alone about 7 ish, I now have to take one tablet and mooch around  to lose time, can't get in the bathroom my husband in there,  so I fiddle about doing  not a lot till I can get my breakfast.

Viktoria, how do you cram so much into a day, you are like a whirlwind, you put me to shame.

I watched Trooping  the colour, fantastic.

It has  been dull all morning , looked like rain to be honest but it looks as I it is brightening up,  don't mind the cooler temps, most welcome.

Father's day tomorrow, hope all fathers have a nice day and get spoilt

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 June 23 15:24 BST (UK) »
We've got a "Ruby Wedding" rose, given to us by a friend for our Ruby Wedding. Possibly 'cos it was grown in Yorkshire, it produced one flower the first year, nothing the next, and so on. Growth has increased this year, but no buds in sight - unless they're hiding under the greenfly! (Has anyone even SEEN a ladybird this year, yet?)
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 June 23 16:27 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't seen a ladybird but now you mention it I will look out for one, in fact I think bees are were in  short supply last year and thankfully
so were wasps, a friend of mine had a whole swarm of bees last week ,  luckily a bee keeper in the village came and took them away , no idea where they came from.
Get lots of pesky slugs though

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 June 23 22:03 BST (UK) »
I rescued a honey bee this week, it was walking in the grass ,so I let it crawl on my hand and deposited it on some flowers.
Smallish with just one stripe .
Was making such a noise.

I heard but cannot believe that each honey bee makes only one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in their life!
Gosh ,and how they work so hard.

A cooler day but still bright ,no need to water this evening I think.
Must try to get to Church tomorrow.
Hope everyone is alright ,thanks for your news.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 June 23 14:56 BST (UK) »
We had thunder and lightning  locally, 3 doors down from  our daughter a house was struck by lightning  at 4am, neighbours had huge problems to wake the occupants up but luckily they got out with their dogs and cats, so very sad, elderly couple apparently, both taken to hospital but  are both ok, how very sad to think they may have lost their  home, let's hope not.

Strange  day, dull then sun and now looks like rain again,  one bit of happiness, my dry water butt is full now, that makes me and my plants happy !!, I am so easily pleased.

Hope everyone is safe and happy

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 June 23 16:35 BST (UK) »
Wow,and  did it thunder and such heavy rain , muggy today but garden seems really freshened.
Pleasant temperature.

Chicken for tea, must put it in the oven soon.
Will do it in a roasting bag ,no oven to clean then ,well not much ,just from roasties.
Stuffing and apple sauce done ,veges ( carrots and green beans )all prepared.

Eldest son goes on holiday on Friday to Cypress, he was not well again yesterday ,but his wife said they are going nevertheless ,as he is always better when occupied .

I need some biggish border fillers for the front border ,a few plants devastated by vine weevils, I have done the treatment so hopefully all will thrive.
The lovely roses in next door’s garden have been battered by the heavy rain ,big pink ones.
It saddens me that my lovely neighbour will not see them again .

Ooops!
More thunder —— and sky suddenly very dark so probably more rain .
I wonder how my little friend is coping ,she surely will be nervous .
What a sad life , it is tragic.
I might phone but I’ll bet she will be nervous re answering the phone in a thunder storm .

Well another week gone by ,hope next week is good for you all.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 18 June 23 17:16 BST (UK) »
Viktoria,  I have never tried it but you can grow roses in a potato if you take a cutting, keep thinking I will  have a go

Dull and  more rain

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 18 June 23 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks,I will try that ,they are lovely roses,a bright pink floribunda like tea cups when fully open.
Just phoned my friend and she says she is O.K ,the latest thunder claps  were very low, so I thought she may be frightened.

Just finished tea ,/ supper.
Quite nice but I am convinced my taste is altered after Covid and one eye drop COSOPT says that is a side effect,also leg pains and tiredness.
Yes!
But I can see pretty well.

Daughter phones tomorrow ,so News of Flash Harry and the one baby demolition squad AKA Kyra!

Cheerio.Viktoria.