Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 18th June  (Read 1719 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 18th June
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 June 23 11:50 BST (UK) »
Too hot for us. Skulking from cool side of house to cooler, as the sun moves round it (Sun on rear in morning, side about lunchtime, afternoon/evening directly on front.)
I'm a cool temperate maritime person, can't cope with this weather at all.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 June 23 08:08 BST (UK) »
Very hot again yesterday,did a good watering in the evening .

Had to cal United Utilities ,a very damp patch has appeared in the side lane , running towards my house.
For such a narrow way quite a bit of traffic uses it for rear access , garden maintenance etc, and there are service pipes there.
U.U. Came very quickly .located some points he needed ,but one appears to have been built over by young neighbours who have done their garden well and have fruit bushes growing ,their two little girls can just pick and eat !
Their daddy used  massive baulks of timber as edging for raised beds and
seating ,tables etc .I remembered where one stop tap was but I am pretty certain  it is now covered by timber.Each house would have one.
The previous owner slightly overstepped the boundary when putting new fencing in place, so enclosing the mains tap inside the garden!
There is another in the pavement of the nearby road so there would probably be a connection from that so that is where it will be turned off I assume.
My mains stop tap is in the back lane so I don’t think it will turn mine off when they come to repair the leak.
This leak is in the side lane.

Looking up the number to ring ,from a list supplied by Bury Council ,do you know if I have leeks ,yes leeks not leaks , they give the number to ring.
I was not sure who or what would arrive —— a mobile greengrocery van perhaps.
! Honestly !

Friend called just for  a chat, the repair done by her neighbour seems O.K.
The loud banging in the pipes had terrified her.It was the ball cock that had failed seemingly so a new one fitted ,must have caused an air lock.
She came when I enquired was everything alright.
She us like a tiny little bird, terrified of so much .Gets in total panic.
I saw her home and two minutes later she was at my door in such a panic, had she left her special sunglasses ,well yes we found the down the armchair.
Honestly she can’t weigh six stones.
She cooks as best she can and just manages to do one potato, open a tin of carrots or peas and has those with one slice of ham every day .
Frightened to use the microwave, terrified of the washer so washes by hand ,oven broken ,fire broken no central heating ,worries about the immersion heater , her late sin did so much but sadly died only sixty.
One daughter has gone to live in the Lake District , the other has no contact .
I have no idea and of course won’t ask ,why such neglect by her daughters.

I can but be friendly , but have to shout quite loudly as she has hearing priblems too,but my son working above in the bedroom can then hear our conversations which must annoy him .She also is interested in the house purchase so asks about that —— .
What a very sad situation she is in ,her daughter who has buzzed off to Cumbria  has put in her mind that Home Helps etc will rob her!
So she struggles on alone .
I count my blessings despite the many many cups of tea all day long I make for my son  who is tied to the computers for long hours ,international time zones etc.
Well eight of the clock on a wonderful June morning, blazing sunshine and glad I did a good watering last evening .
I must watch the pond the water was actually really warm yesterday evening so a little trickle ,cold ,needed .
From the hosepipe , ought to keep it cooler today ,there is an overflow in place,.It is a raised pond as put in place when Flash Harry came every weekend , the solar powered pump and filter has stopped working but still under warranty so another on its way ,from “ Pondkeeper”.
WellI had better get up U ,U said they would be back .
Cheerio everyone, I got the wrong  sun block — for  babies,a spray but will have to use it as no other left ,factor 50.
It might make me look young again !
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 June 23 08:22 BST (UK) »
Goodness me Viktoria.  You have a lot going on at the moment, hope it all gets sorted out soon, now you have UU  on board it should be sorted, leeks or no leaks !!

Your poor friend, what problems, it is sad when children move or lose touch with parents , one day those who don't keep in touch will regret it and it will  be to late ,

Took 7 of us out to lunch for my husbands birthday, think he felt suitably spoilt, well, I hope  he did, grandaughter face timed from Bali,  she will be home in less than 3 weeks, thank goodness, I was so worried initially as she was on her own but it appears backpackers meet on their journey and make friends, somehow I feel it will be difficult for her to settle down but she has to, can't live on fresh air alone.

Feels a tad cooler this morning, mustn't  complain but it is a bit to hot for me, saps my energy.

Take care everyone, keep cool

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 June 23 06:20 BST (UK) »
Continued with our run of lovely sunshine … until today, forecast to be a wet one but nothing until early afternoon and cleared again, had washing out while fine but very little drying. Wonderful images of hoar frosts from the South Island as the cold set in, definitely a dip in temps this past week in the Auckland area and we lit the fire last night first time since the couple of times last winter. Some keep fires burning to warm homes through the colder months if they have a good wood supply, we do but not always at home to attend to it. Saw a brave few having a dip in the sea on Sunday, beautiful day but quite a chill in the air, just one or two dog walkers on the beach at lunchtime on Thursday but mostly had beach to myself as often the case and was well wrapped up in a warm jacket.

Other comings and goings through week, more focus on the move etc., family stuff.
Husband's youngest brother is 3 score years and 10 tomorrow, celebrating without a big 'do'.

Nice lunch outing for your OH that you organised LM. Your granddaughter may be back with itchy feet and with plans to save for more exploring, great experience while a bit 'carefree' and nice to relive it with her in person in a couple of weeks when she returns from her travels.
All the best for your trip to Jersey, Caroline, do enjoy and everything crossed for your next eye surgery, apprehensive for you I'm sure.
Understand your concern for friend as well, Viktoria, sounds sad and lonely for her without the due care she should have.
Stay safe all … shortest day next week, longest for you up overs ...

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 June 23 10:43 BST (UK) »
Mare, i suppose you at heading  towards your wintertime  whilst most of us have just started our summer, late starting  in my opinion, cooler today after a few very hot days.

Our grandaughter  has sent us via WhatsApp some beautiful pictures of her travel, she is spending her last 3 weeks in Bali, been a  long time  but as long as she us safe that is all we can ask.

Good luck for your eyes Caroline and enjoy your time in Jersey.

Hope all is going  well for your son Viktoria.

My OH  has gone to the gym so I am slacking  a bit, not really,  just not doing so much nowadays with a RC   rest  in between

Enjoy your day everyone

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 June 23 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks,L.M.
He is making plans ,ordered a big shed as a workshed, likes to buy junkOoooh sorry Antiques—— to restore!
Busy at the moment with a car mascot for son in law’s Alvis ,inherited from his father ,another Motörhead!
He does think of little things and is really interested in the little ones,Flash Harry and toddler Kyra .
lLittle ones! F.H is in The Juniors at school in September !
Can’t believe it ,he is not tall for his age but sparky and comical ,he will be alright.

Must get on. You people keep distracting me with your news and I live in fear and dread of missing something!

Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 June 23 22:35 BST (UK) »
Viktoria it’s Caroline that is having the eye problems currently and not me.
I’ve been working away earlier this week, so today was catching up on washing and tidying etc. it’s still very hot and husband forgot to water the new rose while I was away  which is in a pot . It looks ok and I gave it a soaking today so fingers crossed. It was a present for our 40th wedding anniversary earlier this year - a variety called ‘ Ruby wedding ‘ .
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 June 23 07:40 BST (UK) »
Morning All
First time for a few days I can say it is  decidedly  chilly, I think today it is the Trooping of the colour so the soldiers will  be relieved if it is cooler, do feel sorry for them trooping  and standing in high temps.

Hope your rose survives CF,  I was given a special rose in November, due to the weather I couldn't put it in the  ground till April , it took a long time to recover, the person who gave it to me asked a few times how it was doing and could she have a picture of it, think it looks reasonable enough now for me to send a picture now.

Have a nice day everyone

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 June 23 08:10 BST (UK) »
Morning to everyone…
Thank you for kind comments re holiday and upcoming eye op on my return.

LM - Sorry to hear you’re feeling so chilly, it’s certainly been warm where we are so far! Off to visit the Mary Rose today looking fwd to it. Glad to hear all went well for you hubbies birthday celebrations. I’m sure you can’t wait to see your granddaughter the time has gone by quickly.. lots of stories to tell I’m sure.

Candleflame - I can’t believe the name of the rose you’ve been given to celebrate your 40th anniversary! It’s the same one my SiL bought for ours! (10 yrs ago now)… it’s a beautiful colour and ours is just flowering now… wonderful as we’re away and can’t see it 😢. Some friends gave me one called ‘Judy Dench’ for my 70th b’day and it has a wonderful perfume and an abundance of beautiful flowers. Hope your copious watering saves it !

Viktoria- keeping 🤞your sons house conveyance goes through soon so you can get your house back to how you live in it! Must be difficult as he collects and restores ‘antiques’!!

Have a nice w/e all.. think we might be getting some rain tomorrow and certainly temps look cooler in Jersey.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK