Author Topic: Peoples of Townland Killyglen, Antrim  (Read 834 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Peoples of Townland Killyglen, Antrim
« on: Monday 12 June 23 08:06 BST (UK) »
Lookups please, if possible

Joseph Peoples (1840 Larne - 1921 Ballarat) m1. 17 Mar 1860 Inver Elizabeth McCartney and they had a son named David Peoples. Both child and mother died. Any help!

Joseph Peoples m.2 Eliza McCafferty  4 Feb 1862 Larne Old Presbyterian. Son named John Peoples was folklore baptised McNassi Catholic Church. Any help please.

Will of James Peoples, an uncle written 5 Aug 1879 says that Joseph's three aunties Ellen, Mary and Rachel were alive, as was his niece Ellen Peoples.

Ellen was born 1838 assumed on father's 115 acres tenement (1834 Tithe record) at Killyglen illegit. Any birth record please?

Rachel Peoples may have had an illegit son James McKee 1846, any evidence please?
Thank you
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peoples of Townland Killyglen, Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 June 23 08:27 BST (UK) »
Joseph Peoples (1840 Larne - 1921 Ballarat) m1. 17 Mar 1860 Inver Elizabeth McCartney and they had a son named David Peoples. Both child and mother died. Any help!
Civil registration of deaths started in 1864 and since Joseph remarried in 1862 it's likely both died 1860-1862.

For reference, here's a link to the two marriages-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1860/09592/5478262.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1862/09632/5493356.pdf

Joseph Peoples m.2 Eliza McCafferty  4 Feb 1862 Larne Old Presbyterian. Son named John Peoples was folklore baptised McNassi Catholic Church. Any help please.
You can check for possible baptisms here- https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1142

Will of James Peoples, an uncle written 5 Aug 1879 says that Joseph's three aunties Ellen, Mary and Rachel were alive, as was his niece Ellen Peoples.
There's a death for a spinster named Ellen Peoples in 1889 (age 83 so born c1806) and the informant is her daughter Ellen Peoples-https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1889/06155/4758683.pdf
In 1902 there's a death at Killyglen for an Ellen Peoples and the informant is her cousin Margaret Peoples-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1902/05697/4606558.pdf
Here's Ellen in 1901-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cairncastle/Killyglen/994593/
Possibly cousin Margaret Peoples-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cairncastle/Killyglen/994592/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 June 23 08:41 BST (UK) »
Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate of Joseph Peoples formerly of Killyglen and late of Ballysnod both in County Antrim Farmer who died 3 December 1886 at latter place were granted at Belfast to Ellen Peoples of Ballysnod Spinster one of the Universal Legatees.
Will mentions niece Ellen Peoples, daughter of sister Ellen Peoples. Also mentions his brother Archibald Peoples. PRONI's index gives date of Will as 3 Dec.1886 but on page 2 the date is 26 Apr.1882. Although sister Ellen mentioned in Will (as mother of his niece Ellen) it doesn't say she's alive and I can't see that sisters Mary and Rachel are mentioned at all.

I can'f find death of a Rachel Peoples but here's Archibald's in 1890-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1890/06120/4747358.pdf

Added- see later post.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 June 23 09:32 BST (UK) »
Elwyn

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 23 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your assistance.

I went through the Catholic baptism from 1860, incase David Peoples was baptised before his death to Nov 1864; known date that his father arrived in Melbourne. Also looked for John Peoples baptised before that date.  No record.
This Will mentions Josephs' uncles and aunties, including Mary and Rachel.

Will of James Peoples of Killyglen                       Killyglen 5th. August 1879
I James Peoples of the Townland of Killyglen in the Parish of Cairncastle do hereby make my last Will and Testimony being week in body and sound in mind I leave to my niece Ellen Peoples now living with me the sum of £100 sterling Also to my brother Archy £25 sterling Also to James Peoples Junior now living with me the sum of £20  sterling To my sisters Mary and Rachel I leave £20 sterling each My debts to be paid and the remainder of my property or money to be divided equally share and share alike between my two nephews James Peoples now living with me and James Peoples, who formerly lived with me and now living with my sister Mary. The land to be sold at my decease subject to £12 sterling per year to be paid to my sister Ellen for her lifetime. It’s my wish for Mr. Smith the agent to put a price on the ground and give it to whichever one of my friends he thinks best If he does not do this the ground and chattels to be sold by public auction I have executors Daniel P Hunter Ballymullock and Samuel Smiley Dromain  Signed James Peoples
Witnesses present  James Peoples  Alexander Smiley

The death for Ellen Peoples was the niece in the above Will. Thank you.

Thank you also for Joseph Peoples two marriages will cleared that and maybe as his dad David Peoples was deceased by the second marriage that might give me a better death date for David Peoples born c1805 now died c1861.

Thank you for also acknowledging that I offered some advice to others on Alexander Cairnduff. I would also have his photo. He married (4) one of my wife's ancestors.
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 June 23 11:37 BST (UK) »
Can you link me to baptisms in the Old Presbyterian Church Larne to look for the two boys: David Peoples son of Joseph Peoples and first wife Elizabeth McCartney 1860 to 1864; and John Peoples son of Joseph Peoples and second wife Eliza McCafferty 1862 to 1864 ?

John Peoples certainly was on board when the ship arrived in Melbourne Nov 1864; as was a new sister Mary Ellen Peoples however, she was born as the ship passed the Cape of Good Hope in 1864.
The Peoples were definitely Presbyterian but I am not sure about Eliza McCafferty, as her brothers in Ballarat were Catholic.
Keith

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 June 23 11:39 BST (UK) »
The 1879 Will is not the one I referenced.
Here's the one which mentions sisters, etc. that you have-
The Will of James Peoples late of Killyglen County Antrim Farmer deceased who died 30 August 1881 at same place was proved at Belfast by Daniel Peden Hunter of Ballymullock and Samuel Smiley of Dromaine both in said County Farmers the Executors.

This is the one I posted which is for Joseph People (my mistake)-
Letters of Administration (with the Will annexed) of the personal estate of Joseph Peoples formerly of Killyglen and late of Ballysnod both in County Antrim Farmer who died 3 December 1886 at latter place were granted at Belfast to Ellen Peoples of Ballysnod Spinster one of the Universal Legatees.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 June 23 11:41 BST (UK) »
Can you link me to baptisms in the Old Presbyterian Church Larne to look for the two boys: David Peoples son of Joseph Peoples and first wife Elizabeth McCartney 1860 to 1864; and John Peoples son of Joseph Peoples and second wife Eliza McCafferty 1862 to 1864 ?
https://www.johngrenham.com/browse/county_church.php?cat=Antrim#Antrim
and
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/guide-church-records

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 June 23 12:04 BST (UK) »
acknowledgement and possible baptisms there on 1st. Presbyterian Larne c1861 +5 years, for a David and a John Peoples.